Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need help diagnosing semi-functioning parking brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I need help diagnosing semi-functioning parking brakes.

I was forced to take my car to Firestone today since the shop that installed my new shocks and rear springs told me my rear pads were worn down and not engaging. My car will roll down the driveway if I don't hold down the brake. Well, the rear pads are fine but Firestone claims to have identified the problem as being my calipers and this spring in the diagram below. GM part #25.

http://shbox.com/1/rear_caliper.jpg

So, they have tasked me with trying to find two replacement springs for my rear parking brake assemblies, GM #25. Honestly, the parking brake seems to hold okay after they greased the damn thing tugging on the calipers and my calipers are not that old. Does anyone think the springs are just worn out and need replacing and if so who has them?! I found some USED rear calipers on ebay for 1989-1992 Camaros that seem to use that exact same spring but do I want to take the chance on using them?

I can only do certain work on my car but this seems to be beyond me and I question that I also need new calipers if the problem is clearly the parking brake assembly not engaging all the way. What suggestions can you give me? I plan to have the other shop look over my car and give me their honest opinion on it.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or, since my car is an "antique" and one shops don't want to work on, is having my emergency brake system upgraded to the 1998 - 2002 F-body system of any merit?