Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't get any positive caster after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can't get any positive caster after lowering

I recently replace all the suspension in my car with bmr springs. I also have stock lower a arms and founders upper a arms and a umi cross member. After taking it in for an alignment the tech said he wasn't able to get any positive caster out of it and when you look at the k member it is maxed out on the outer side of the slot on the k member. Why am I even having this issure? Shouldn't I have gained some ability to get more?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
I recently replace all the suspension in my car with bmr springs. I also have stock lower a arms and founders upper a arms and a umi cross member. After taking it in for an alignment the tech said he wasn't able to get any positive caster out of it and when you look at the k member it is maxed out on the outer side of the slot on the k member. Why am I even having this issure? Shouldn't I have gained some ability to get more?
What do you use the car for daily driving, road racing, or drag racing? Depending on use not having positive caster may not be a problem. As long as the right side is .5 degree higher than the left the car should go straight.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The car has like +4.5 normally. Do you mean you couldn't get any additional caster over the normal spec? You mention that the control arm is at the end of the slot. If you only have the LCA to adjust caster, it comes from a difference in the front and rear. To get max + caster you would have the forward slot all the way inboard and the rearward all the way outboard. No idea what camber you would get. Max camber is both outboard. If the slots are longer than stock you should be able to get more camber and caster, but it is a trade-off.

I align my car myself because I have adjustable uppers and lowers with a UMI k-member. Just FYI my car has -3.1 camber +7 caster and it isn't maxed out. Tire clearance could become a problem if I went nuts.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

erm, not having any positive caster would be a massive issue. Think about the front wheels on a shopping cart and how they wobble. Hell Fox and SN95 Mustangs had about 2* and that was laughably low.

If you have none, something is wrong, big time. Either the upper arrms are in backward or the tech has no idea what he is doing and doesn't know + from -. Previous poster asked a relevant question. None, or no more than stock? BIG difference.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just backed mine off the rack after work this afternoon. We have a new Hunter Hawkeye Elite. This machine measures caster and camber to .1* and toe to .01*. My left side aligned easy both caster and camber. Put the max according to factory specifications. The right side was not so easy it was a struggle and actually bent my alignment tool to get the caster where I wanted it; it will have to be heated and restriaghtened on one end, I set my caster to +5*, camber at 0*, and toe at 0*. These all fall within factory specs for this 99 Camaro.
As far as yours goes have your alignment guy use jacking compensation. Did this first then set it down on the plates to get it exactly where I wanted it. This takes the weight off the front and makes movement easier than on the turn plates. Also remember proper tire inflation and jouncing the suspension, if you are on the turn plates this is crucial for accuracy. Went the extra mile and put 225 lbs in the front seat, I weigh 210.
You did say your alignment guy said you are at the max and still at 0* on caster. I'd have it checked again, maybe at another shop on a different machine. Mine started at 2.5-3* +. Seams odd for your situation. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

everytime i could not get the caster into spec i had installed the control arms on the incorrect side. yes this has happened to me more than once....