Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rattling is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rattling is driving me crazy

I have a rattle coming from the rear of the vehicle that I'm almost positive is brake related. At first I thought it was coming from the driver's side, but I'm not positive. It usually takes a small bump or a change in acceleration to trigger it. I have noticed that it doesn't do it when I apply the brakes. For example, going downhill on a slightly rough road it will stop once I apply the brakes and restart when I let go. As long as I apply the brakes it doesn't rattle! I had it up on a lift and everything is tight. Took off the wheels and examined the brakes. Nothing out of the ordinary. Brake pads have plenty left on them. I tried seeing if using the emergency brake will make it stop, but it seems it doesn't. The rattle occurs in neutral or in gear. It is difficult to describe, but the best way I can explain it is it sounds like metal on metal tapping. It isn't loud. I only hear it in lower rpms and no radio on. Neutral coasting on a bumpy road is the best way to hear it. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be differential related? I hope not. This is driving me crazy. Thanks

2001 Trans am ws6
Manual Transmission
Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Caliper guide pin sloppy? Does the noise go away with braking with park brake?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I wasn't able to stop it by pulling up on the parking brake. Only with normal braking. I was thinking it might be an anti rattle clip