Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pedal to MC plunger clip failure, more robust replacement?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Brake Pedal to MC plunger clip failure, more robust replacement?

So at the Finger Lakes Champ Tour autocross, my 2nd run ended in a brake failure. The clip at the end of the pin that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder plunger failed. It is scored and extremely fatigued, and cracked.

My question is, is this simply a part that fails after 18 years? I speculated in that post maybe it was heel-toeing, but looking at it again, any heel-toe sideways pressure would have been in the opposite direction. Maybe overly aggressive braking over the years deformed it?

Is there a more robust upgrade for this? I took a look and it appears that the pin is pressed into the brake arm - requiring taking off the pedal completely to press it out. I thought maybe a large short bolt with castle nut and cotter pin to replace the clip. But is it even worth considering? Has anyone experienced this failure, or replaced this pin/clip combo? Maybe for road racing?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

the pin is pressed/riveted in. I had an extra I was going to remove and move up when I went to manual brakes. I ground off the flair over and even drilled it it out slightly, it's like it's an hour glass shape would almost be easier to just cut weld and move. I have a through bolt with a nut drilled with a cotter key in it currently.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can get a replacement at a local auto parts store, mine broke off the clutch pedal along with the pivot joint, I did not have fun replacing a whole pedal assembly.

Search this Thread