Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS Light coming on after changing wheels / tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default ABS Light coming on after changing wheels / tires

It came on at highway speeds. I changed to Weld Wheels 18" front and rear.

285/30/18 Front
315/30/18 Rear

Is the difference in diameter here too great?

Anything I can do? I can't ignore the ABS light because Texas has safety inspections and this will cause me to fail.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Even if your ABS light was off, it will not work properly with mis-matched tires. (It would still be over-active.) So, that may be something that is more important to you.

I am not aware of a tuner who can customize the EBCM for staggered tires. Aside from customizing the EBCM for the wheel setup, I suppose one could custom-machine a new rear reluctor to the proper ratio, but doing that (and tearing the rear end apart) must be crazy expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Need4Camaro (05-11-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wssix99
Even if your ABS light was off, it will not work properly with mis-matched tires. (It would still be over-active.) So, that may be something that is more important to you.

I am not aware of a tuner who can customize the EBCM for staggered tires. Aside from customizing the EBCM for the wheel setup, I suppose one could custom-machine a new rear reluctor to the proper ratio, but doing that (and tearing the rear end apart) must be crazy expensive.
As for my wheel/tire setup, what would you do in this situation?
Old 05-06-2024, 10:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Looks like it's about a .7" height difference between those two tire sizes...that's right on the border of what usually causes this issue (I used to have a spread of .3" and had no issues, and usually folks are OK up to about .5" - beyond that is questionable).

Why such a short front tire in the first place? That front tire is almost a full inch shorter than the stock tire height.

There are really only two options here:

- Ignore the light (I drive around in '70s cars without ABS all the time, I don't worry about it, but I don't ever drive them in bad weather). I know you mentioned having to pass an inspection, but you can do this by resetting the light and switching to an alternate set of better-matching junk wheels/tires just for the test (if driving to the test site is enough to set off the light). That is, assuming you can fit a cheap set of wheels over whatever brakes you might have.

- Change tire sizes. I would want a taller front tire anyway (in fact, even your rear tire is a bit shorter than stock), but I don't know the width of your wheels or if tires of the optimal size (within that width range) are manufactured in an 18".

Only other option I could think of would be what wssix99 mentioned above.
Y2K_Frenzy (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Looks like it's about a .7" height difference between those two tire sizes...that's right on the border of what usually causes this issue (I used to have a spread of .3" and had no issues, and usually folks are OK up to about .5" - beyond that is questionable).

Why such a short front tire in the first place? That front tire is almost a full inch shorter than the stock tire height.

There are really only two options here:

- Ignore the light (I drive around in '70s cars without ABS all the time, I don't worry about it, but I don't ever drive them in bad weather). I know you mentioned having to pass an inspection, but you can do this by resetting the light and switching to an alternate set of better-matching junk wheels/tires just for the test (if driving to the test site is enough to set off the light). That is, assuming you can fit a cheap set of wheels over whatever brakes you might have.

- Change tire sizes. I would want a taller front tire anyway (in fact, even your rear tire is a bit shorter than stock), but I don't know the width of your wheels or if tires of the optimal size (within that width range) are manufactured in an 18".

Only other option I could think of would be what wssix99 mentioned above.
It was what Weld Racing recommended when I got these wheels. Any chance I can go taller without changing the wheel sizes?
Old 05-07-2024, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Front aspect ratio should be 35. You can either do a 275/35/18 or a 285/35/18
The following 2 users liked this post by 79_T/A:
Need4Camaro (05-07-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 209 Posts

It came on at highway speeds. I changed to Weld Wheels 18" front and rear.

285/30/18 Front
315/30/18 Rear

Is the difference in diameter here too great?

Anything I can do? I can't ignore the ABS light because Texas has safety inspections and this will cause me to fail.
In 2025 TX will be doing away with the safety portion of the inspection for whatever that’s worth.
Need4Camaro (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:01 PM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

You need to answer the question for us as to if you want 100% perfect function of your ABS system. Is that important to you? Do you care if your ABS activates prematurely as you come to a stop? Do you care if your ABS activates late if you end up in a skid?

If you care about these things, then you need to match circumference of the tires or do some customized engineering for the car. You also got some advice in 2015 on getting the staggered look while matching tire size: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-question.html
Old 05-07-2024, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
You need to answer the question for us as to if you want 100% perfect function of your ABS system. Is that important to you? Do you care if your ABS activates prematurely as you come to a stop? Do you care if your ABS activates late if you end up in a skid?

If you care about these things, then you need to match circumference of the tires or do some customized engineering for the car. You also got some advice in 2015 on getting the staggered look while matching tire size: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-question.html
Is there a way other than breaking the bulb to not have a dash light (tuning) or is it like traction control where you have to break or unplug the bulb?
What’s the game plan for this thing? I have no experience with a dedicated road course race car or anything like that but I have had my fair share of “dual purpose vehicles” (meaning street use and off street use) from 4x4’s to sports cars and I’ve come to appreciate more sidewall than less within reason. Off road and straight line traction both benefit from a larger sidewall when you “air down” and I’ve never really had a reasonably sized sidewall per the application rolling over on itself while cornering to where I’d consider the handling crappy. I have had “short” sidewalls that gave a crappy ride and in the grand scheme of things the handling wasn’t improved enough to justify the harsh ride. Get some sidewall in your life. I’m not saying monster truck but not rubber band tires either.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 05-07-2024 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
I have no experience with a dedicated road course race car or anything like that but I have had my fair share of “dual purpose vehicles” (meaning street use and off street use) from 4x4’s to sports cars and I’ve come to appreciate more sidewall than less within reason. Off road and straight line traction both benefit from a larger sidewall when you “air down” and I’ve never really had a reasonably sized sidewall per the application rolling over on itself while cornering to where I’d consider the handling crappy. I have had “short” sidewalls that gave a crappy ride and in the grand scheme of things the handling wasn’t improved enough to justify the harsh ride. Get some sidewall in your life. I’m not saying monster truck but not rubber band tires either.
I agree with all of this. I just don't see a need for (or benefit to) such a short sidewall in a street application. Plenty of downsides though (ride quality, pothole damage, etc.)

I like the suggestion of moving to a 275/35/18 front tire. It's slightly taller than the rear (which isn't ideal), but it shouldn't be too noticeable with it being only a 0.14" difference in overall height. And that spread is well within the range that will be acceptable to the ABS system (again, I had a 0.32" difference and the ABS was totally unaffected). Or, if you want the same spread but favoring a taller rear tire, then consider going to a 265/35/18 front tire (if your front wheel can accept a tire as narrow as a 265mm - still not sure since I don't think you listed wheels specs). Any of these choices are still a bit shorter than stock (with a lot less sidewall as there was no factory 18" wheel option), but they are better than sticking with a 285/30/18 front tire IMO.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I think I will just upgrade the front tires..
I guess I thought I was finished with everything but I've got more to do. Always a work in progress.
Supercharger goes in this month though.. ..thats going to be a blast.

Admittedly I do love the stance of the car with it being so low and aggressive looking between the front and the rear, but its not very functional on the street as it is right now. I do wonder what would happen if I go the custom route when it comes to my ABS though..

I guess I should ask, without ABS, how likely is it that my wheels will lock up and skid if I slammed on the brakes suddenly? Driving around it didn't feel any different and I'm typically a very attentive driver, I can count the number of times I've slammed on my brakes in the matter of a year but I still don't want one of those times to end up costing me in an unexpected situation.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

but I still don't want one of those times to end up costing me in an unexpected situation.
ABS doesn't work until one needs it and we don't need it until we do...

The risk depends on how one uses the car and how often. A daily driver, driven in rain or snow should definitely have it. Even if one doesn't care about the car, there is a liability angle. If one were to get in a wreck and hurt someone else and they were to find that the ABS was defeated or not working, the owner of that car could get sued.

Quick Reply: ABS Light coming on after changing wheels / tires