Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

DIY guys, SFC easiest to weld, no lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY guys, SFC easiest to weld, no lift

Thinking of welding in my own SFCs. Just wondering if any of you guys have done this at home without a lift. I'll probably go with some ramps and some jack stands under rear axle.

Which type are easier to weld, tubular or boxed style? Also, any good tips on rustproofing after the weld?

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 11-01-2004, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

ttt - anybody
Old 11-01-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black99ta
ttt - anybody
As long as the suspension is loaded and level it should be no problem. We did mine on the ground with blocks

I used the UMI boxed style, the rear point bolts over the rear control arm mount using the control arm bolt. This makes for easier install with out clumsy handling, it went good.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Thanks 2w0s. Sounds like you didn't have too much trouble. Any difficulty getting enough welds in (that area seems pretty cramped)?

Anybody else have any recommendations?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardest area to weld is the sides of the SFC's to the pinch welds. Be sure to clean all paint etc. down to bare metal where ever you need to weld. The pinch weld seams have at least two layers of sheet metal spot welded together with paint sandwiched in between, so it's going to pop and sputter when you weld to this area, making it more difficult to get a good weld. Just take your time and be sure to stitch weld through here.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

i went to a local exhaust shop, and got it up on their lift, i helped em install em and they welded em for like $25
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

How much of a difference is there between the weld in SFC's and the Bolt in?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Cal,

Did you weld in boxed style or tubular? Also, would you recommend going with a flux core wire or a solid wire and Argon/CO2 gas?

thanks,

Joe
Old 11-08-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I welded in a set of boxed SFC's in my driveway with minimal difficulty... and believe me, I'm no welding pro

Just as Cal suggested, for a prettier weld around the pinchwelds, stitch weld. I'm very pleased with the outcome of mine. I used a set of ramps in the front with jack stands under the axles in the back.

I'm not sure what the most popular welder configuration is, although I used standard wire with gas.

I previously used flux core wire, although my welds were much improved by moving to a solid wire/gas configuration.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dan102877
How much of a difference is there between the weld in SFC's and the Bolt in?
The difference in relation to structural rigidity is probably negligible, although I'm sure welded SFC's are better in this aspect.

Bolted SFC's are going to require a lot more ongoing care and feeding. If you don't mind periodically checking the torque of the bolts or you don't have ready access to a welder, Bolted SFC's will work just fine.

The difference in ride is no different between my welded SFC's and a friend's bolt on kit.

Regardless of what you end up getting, it's one of the best mods you can do to this car.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rhino
The difference in relation to structural rigidity is probably negligible, although I'm sure welded SFC's are better in this aspect.

Bolted SFC's are going to require a lot more ongoing care and feeding. If you don't mind periodically checking the torque of the bolts or you don't have ready access to a welder, Bolted SFC's will work just fine.

The difference in ride is no different between my welded SFC's and a friend's bolt on kit.

Regardless of what you end up getting, it's one of the best mods you can do to this car.

Outstanding! Thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY guys, SFC easiest to weld, no lift