Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hal Rs on the front...what on the rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hal Rs on the front...what on the rear

I have been searching this for the last 2 hours and I cannot see much. What shocks would you guys go with in the rear using the HAL QA1 "R"s in the front. The car is a daily driver that sees the track a dozen times in the summer. Do I need an adjustable rear shock? If so, what about Comp. Eng. rear shocks? Or should I just wait until I can afford it all and do it that way?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't really know an answer, but I too would like to hear what others have to say. Are you going to use stock springs or the Hal/QA1?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the QA1's for the rear if you have the $$. Otherwise just leave them alone for the time being. It's not going to hurt anything.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Yea I would recomend the Hals in the rear too. I daily drive with mine in the summer and I like them. They are quick and easy to adjust too. I think that they are worth saving your money for.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is only a $150 difference beween the hal front/comp back and hal front/hal back...i would wait
Old 11-02-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple quick questions--not to hijack this thread, but I am guessing that you might like to know as well:

1. Is it best to use stock springs, or the QA1 springs? Will the QA1's lower the car any?

2. I realize these shocks are for drag racing, but like me, he will be using them in a daily driver. How well do they work as a street driven/occasional track shock? Does the "R" make any difference here?

3. Are the "R" series double adjustable or do they just have a stiffer compression than the regular 12 ways?

4. How do these shocks compare to other adjustable shocks for daily driver/occasional strip (such as Koni, Afco, etc.)?

These are the main questions I would like answered. Hopefully someone can help out. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2004, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

1. I use my Hypercoil (lowering springs) with the Hals and it works well (you will need to modify the factory spring pearches or buy new ones from BMR to work with the factory style springs). The front QA1s are an adjustable coil over set up so you can adjust the front ride heigth to your liking.

2. I have the "R" series in my daily driver, I run them full loose with no front sway bar and the car handles pretty good. Just the other day I went into an off ramp way to fast (like 95mph in a suggested 35mph ramp) and the car took it much better than I thought. The inside corner unloaded alittle quick but the car didn't get out of hand. And yes they do make a differance on the street. If you run a regular QA1 on the soft side they are real bouncy on the street. You can run the "R"s at their lowest setting and the car isn't bouncy at all.

3. No the "R"s are not double adjustable. They have a fixed compression so you can only adjust the rebound rate.

4. I've never compared them to another shock but I'm more than happy with my QA1s, front and rear.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, thanks...that helps a lot!

Does anyone else have experience with these on the street? Has anyone used them and others (Koni, etc) that could compare them?

I read a post comparing the "R" series to the new Strange shocks, but I didn't really hear a clear consensus. If anyone has anything to say about this that would be great. 1jfuddle, you might want to look into these too before you spend the money.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

So the Hal "R"s are pretty street friendly as opposed to the other Hals?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
So the Hal "R"s are pretty street friendly as opposed to the other Hals?
i would not say that, the "F"s are more street than the "R"s
Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

I am in the same spot, looking to get Hal's, but I've heard that they bottom out and are bouncy on highway bumps

Quick Reply: Hal Rs on the front...what on the rear