Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting springs w/o removing off the shock

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cutting springs w/o removing off the shock

Since my car is in contant launch mode, I'm wanting to lower the front about an inch. I know cutting springs isn't the best way to do it, but I'm broke and I could care less about handling.

What I'm wondering is, could I take the shock/spring combo off the car, put a spring compressor on all of the coils except the one I'm going to cut, then cut one coil and remove the compressor slowly? This would eliminate having to remove that rusty nut (that will probably break since it's been on there for 6 years) on the spring perch.

So would this work or am I missing something?
Old 11-10-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it. Is it really worth taking the chance of dying vs removing a rusty nut?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Hmm, it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it. Is it really worth taking the chance of dying vs removing a rusty nut?
How is it any more dangerous than taking the spring off the shock? The coils not being cut will be compressed, then slowly decompressed by hand, not air tools.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it should work to me, if you can create enough space to do it. Try a 90 degree air die grinder with a small or worn down cut off wheel. And cutting springs isn't as bad as people say. I've cut several sets of them and have had only good results.

It really isn't that hard to get the whole thing off the car, though.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
Sounds like it should<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> work </a>to me, if you can create enough space to do it. Try a 90 degree air die grinder with a small or worn down cut off wheel. And cutting springs isn't as bad as people say. I've cut several sets of them and have had only good results.

It really isn't that hard to get the whole thing off the car, though.
Oh I'll be taking the shock/spring assembly off the car, I just won't be taking off the spring perch and removing the spring from the shock.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:22 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thatsgot ugly written all over it. Idoubt you willbe able to compress the spring enough to cut it.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
How is it any more dangerous than taking the spring off the shock? The coils not being cut will be compressed, then slowly decompressed by hand, not air tools.
I understand what you're objective and method is. I just don't feel it'd be worth my own life to take a short cut like that.

Never assume is my motto :p
Old 11-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I cut the front springs in the car. Use a spring compressor and cut 1 coil from the bottom of the spring then cut that coil in half so you can remove it. This will lower it about 1 inch. In the rear unbolt the lower shocks and drop the rear axle,pull out the springs and cut 1 1/8 coils off the top of the spring,this will lower the rear about 1 1/2 inches.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

i've done it on the car and cutting 1 lope out of it will lower it a little over an inch.use a 4 inch 90degree air grinder with a cut off wheel. it will pop when u cut it but no big thing,
Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

ive thought about lowering my car..but never got aroudn to it :S
Old 11-16-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hit that nut with some penetrating lube and take it off. I think it will be hard to get the two sides even with the spring and shock still put together.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

i have a friend that did it the exact way you are asking about.
he said it wasn't to bad. actually (i know no the safest) he didn't even take the shock off the car before he cut it
Old 11-19-2004, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well we just got done doing it. Getting the spring/shock on and off the car was a breeze but cutting was VERY time consuming since all we had was a circular saw with a metal cutting blade. It was hard to cut though the coil we wanted but not cut any others.

We cut off 1.25 coils and it dropped it a little over an inch. It looks perfect.

Quick Reply: Cutting springs w/o removing off the shock