Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting springs no/yes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting springs no/yes?

I have a friend who doesnt want to spend the money on springs but he wants to have his springs cut and he wants to know how its going to ride and what will it do as handling?
Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will ride and handle about the same, but it will drop. I wouldn't cut off more than one coil, though.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say yes. On some cars it doesn't work that well, but on fbodys it does. If you remove one coil from the front springs, it will drop the car a little more than an inch and increase the spring rate 10%, since you are removing one of 10 coils. The only down side is, this is not quite enough of a spring rate increase to prevent bottoming for that much of a drop, but if you travel smooth roads you will be fine. The other thing is to never flame cut them, always use a fiberglass cuoff wheel. If you have 1LE springs, you can remove more coils because the springs are stiffer to start with. I've had good results removing 2 coils from 1LE springs.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Are the 1LE springs the same as the SLP Eibach springs?

Brian
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as cutting springs goes, it depends on how much money you have. personally, i wouldn't ever do it. i think the stock shocks can't handle the forgiving spring rate our stock springs offer, so anything stiffer will deplete their absorption ability even quicker. consequently, the trouble you will experience while taking off your springs just to cut them will probably be more trouble than just getting new springs/shocks and installing them properly. if it's money you are trying to save for now, and you don't mind going to the trouble, go for it. i can assure you that you will either be replacing the springs/shocks later down the road (pun intended) due to a crappy ride, therefore undergoing the trouble of removing/installing the shocks/springs again, or you will just have a crappy ride. make your own choice from there.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is just for looks then go for it, on an LT1 car anyways it rode better than my hypercoil AGX setup. I don't think it could out handle my setup but it rode fine. I've been considering going doing this and installing some Tokico HP shocks on the vert with some SFC.... But Tuffluck is right you could buy some BMR's for like 180....