Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Shock Tower Brace!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up New Shock Tower Brace!

We finally got our shock tower brace finished over at UMI Performance and thought I would share some pictures. There is more info at the link below in the sponsor section.

Thanks for the interest
Ryan

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...83#post2048383

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2005b.jpg

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2005c.jpg
Old 11-29-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what we need is some billet hoodscoop inserts,
shock tower braces are everywhere...though your welds look nice
Old 11-29-2004, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by markss2oo1
what we need is some billet hoodscoop inserts,
shock tower braces are everywhere...though your welds look nice
It never hurts for a little competition though, right?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Teching In

How is it that everything you sell is the exact design as BMR's? How do you get away with copying there stuff?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ryan, Do you think you should include some washers with the STB?

Al
Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
Ryan, Do you think you should include some washers with the STB?

Al
Hello Al,

Yes they are included with the brace, just didnt install them on that car, got in a hurry to get some pics.

Good eye though.

Thanks for asking!
Ryan
Old 12-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayman
How is it that everything you sell is the exact design as BMR's? How do you get away with copying there stuff?
Yeah but maybe the UMI stuff doesn't break. Not sure why anyone would want a STB on a fbody anyway, other than you can hang your wet shop rags on it and let the engine heat dry them.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, how many ways can you make a STB? Lower control arms? Panhard rod? This isn't rocket science here...they are bars. Quality is the issue. A well made part with nice welds is what you are after, whether you know it or not. BMR has had some weld failure problems. For that reason alone, many people don't use them anymore.

When I was in college, I could have made any of these parts with the equipment I had available (full CNC mill, lathe, plasma cutters, etc). Would I have? Hell no. I can't weld worth a damn.

Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Honestly, how many ways can you make a STB? Lower control arms? Panhard rod? This isn't rocket science here...they are bars. Quality is the issue. A well made part with nice welds is what you are after, whether you know it or not. BMR has had some weld failure problems. For that reason alone, many people don't use them anymore

Steve
Yeah I noticed only the fastest radial tire and true 10.50 sllick car in the world (rick head), fastest 6-speed Ls1 and Lt1, and best 60' in a torque arm car (1.18) seem to be the ones who settled for second best and bought BMR whatever..........
Old 12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sikws6
Yeah I noticed only the fastest radial tire and true 10.50 sllick car in the world (rick head), fastest 6-speed Ls1 and Lt1, and best 60' in a torque arm car (1.18) seem to be the ones who settled for second best and bought BMR whatever..........
Send me your address, and I'll send you a cookie.

I think you need to read my post a little closer, and realize that I didn't say ALL BMR parts had weld failures, just some.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Honestly, how many ways can you make a STB? Lower control arms? Panhard rod? This isn't rocket science here...they are bars. Quality is the issue. A well made part with nice welds is what you are after, whether you know it or not. BMR has had some weld failure problems. For that reason alone, many people don't use them anymore.

When I was in college, I could have made any of these parts with the equipment I had available (full CNC mill, lathe, plasma cutters, etc). Would I have? Hell no. I can't weld worth a damn.

Steve
I understand those type of parts can only be made so many ways, but what about parts like the subframe connectors, drivehaft loop, etc. Obviously all they did is ordered them from someone and copied them to a T. I can't wait to see what they do with their torque arm. They will probably do just like SLP and Addco, copy BMR's and put their logo in the middle plate. I really could care less, but after reading a lot of posts on here, if BMR's stuff is so bad, I don't understand why so many companies copy there stuff. Especially companies as big as SLP?
Old 12-04-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand those type of parts can only be made so many ways, but what about parts like the subframe connectors, drivehaft loop, etc. Obviously all they did is ordered them from someone and copied them to a T. I can't wait to see what they do with their torque arm. They will probably do just like SLP and Addco, copy BMR's and put their logo in the middle plate. I really could care less, but after reading a lot of posts on here, if BMR's stuff is so bad, I don't understand why so many companies copy there stuff. Especially companies as big as SLP?
jayman, I dont really understand you. You have a total of 4 post on this whole board and everyone has been about bmr, so obviously you are a bmr fan, thats fine. I must admit that bmr has some good design ideas, so this must be what these other companies are seeing. They are taking bmrs ideas, advancing them and fixing there faulty craftsmanship and adding there ideas with it. Until something is pateneted there is nothing against this. Its how the world spins and competion becomes stronger.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice! You guys working on a rear sway bar? I'll be in the market for both an adjustable panhard and a bigger rear sway bar in the near future...
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
Yeah but maybe the UMI stuff doesn't break. Not sure why anyone would want a STB on a fbody anyway, other than you can hang your wet shop rags on it and let the engine heat dry them.
I only want it so it looks like I have something done to the car when people look under my hood

Kinda hard to tell there is a G5X3 in there when it's parked at a car show. With the STB, people will be like "look, he has mods!"
Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to make my engine bay look like I DON'T have mods, since it can raise suspicion of illegal parts at the state emissions inspection. But if you want to advertise, why not have a couple of stickers in the engine bay that almost weigh nothing? Or a carbon fiber air box that is actually a little lighter than stock? I just don't understand why people want to make their cars heavier with parts that do absolutely nothing. Unless you're going land speed racing, lighter is always better.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Funny that you mention that Addco copied BMR's products. I was at a trade show talking to the Addco sales rep. He flat out told me that they make BMR's parts and all he does is powder coats them and assemblems them. I even remember back in the day when S&W Race Cars had their "Track Pack" out and guess what.. BMR came out with the same exact thing not to long afterwards. Now what does that tell you about BMR?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
I try to make my engine bay look like I DON'T have mods, since it can raise suspicion of illegal parts at the state emissions inspection. But if you want to advertise, why not have a couple of stickers in the engine bay that almost weigh nothing? Or a carbon fiber air box that is actually a little lighter than stock? I just don't understand why people want to make their cars heavier with parts that do absolutely nothing. Unless you're going land speed racing, lighter is always better.
I have enough hookups to not worry about emissions. When I don't run 11's because of the obesity of the strut bar, then I'll start worrying about cutting the weight down.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlahMan
Funny that you mention that Addco copied BMR's products. I was at a trade show talking to the Addco sales rep. He flat out told me that they make BMR's parts and all he does is powder coats them and assemblems them. I even remember back in the day when S&W Race Cars had their "Track Pack" out and guess what.. BMR came out with the same exact thing not to long afterwards. Now what does that tell you about BMR?
I was at the PRI also, and I also talked to BMR. The funny thing is that PROFAB and I think PA both sold to S&W and they would market them as their own. But it could have been before those two split. But how would you guys rate BMR and the rest of these guys on a scale of 1-10? And it is right, no patent=copy all you want!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

I am holding a group purchase on these STB's if anyone's interested...

$59.99, can't beat it. http://www.motorsportconnect.com/bbs...ead.php?t=3489

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Shock Tower Brace!