Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need advice on lowering springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on lowering springs and shocks

02 WS6 with a Dynatech SuperMaxx Header System

I want to get rid of the 4x4 look, but I hear so many people talk about lowering springs sagging after a few miles and their long tubes scraping on the ground.

I'm looking at the BMR 1" lowering springs and bilstein shocks. I also thought about G2's and bilsein shocks.

This car is not a daily driver, so I'm looking for a sporting feel, lowered look, all while keeping the bottom off the ground. Money isn't a problem. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

This might help out http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=44564
Old 12-04-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

the second beer can pic just about right. If you dont have those band clamps on headers, expect horse U clamps to snag and take your exhaust with it. The guy at the muff shop said if the welding (pacesetter/ory) and 4 band clamps don't cut it , to bring it back and they've actually welded skid plates on b4.

yeah i've had the ory yanked right off the passenger side header (pacesetter/lt) before, i'm going to give it a try on a known place i goto that has an agressive exit curve (ie make it scrape) and see how the band clamps help.

pretty much i expect it to scrape, but not take off the ORY, i am very in mind on such things as well, going 2mph to exit a strip mall, scrape, blap blap blap blap, really sucks. and some headers aren't tucked in as tight. I bet the dude could have adjusted his headers closer to the body after maul'ing the floorboard for a wee bit , but in the end, its gonna scrape no matter what. not sure if relocation brackets would give any other clearance problems i havent seen pics of them on cars yet but thinking bout it if they don't cause a problem.

one more thing, those bolts in those pics shouldn't be there. Muff shop should make it so only the band of the band clamp can scrape on anything (maybe its the angle of pic. then they use cutter to shorten the bolts on the band clamps since they will be too long and a source of hangup. maybe i'll go take pics of my pacesetter setup. the bandclamps were torqued to 60ft/lbs after the header/ory part was welded. there was lots of exhaust leaks from the carbon traces that appear to be gone now. must datalog see if it changes anything. car is still kinda stinky at idle with the heater flow on, might just be the no-cat thing
Old 12-04-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres mine lowered with BMR springs and bilstein HD's...i could not be happier, im not a fan of the slammed look and this was the *perfect* drop for me, not to mention the added handling and the ride is pretty damn good as well...

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=145215
Old 12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
heres mine lowered with BMR springs and bilstein HD's...i could not be happier, im not a fan of the slammed look and this was the *perfect* drop for me, not to mention the added handling and the ride is pretty damn good as well...

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=145215

I have the same combo and it is excellent for the street, only problem is if I want it to be a track car one day I may have to swap out shocks and springs again
Old 12-05-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I have the same combo and it is excellent for the street, only problem is if I want it to be a track car one day I may have to swap out shocks and springs again
..why?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Has anyone tried the Bilstein Suspension Kit. It comes with 1" performance lowering springs matched with sport shocks? Thunder sells the kit, but it's located under the "shocks and struts" section, not the springs section.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Does adding better shocks lower it even more? I am going to have duals and hoping to lower about 1.25. I have heard that the *** sags with the pro-kit so i was thinking of doing hotchkis/bmr springs with new shocks, would that drop me a little below 1"?
Old 12-05-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Feed The Dragon
Has anyone tried the Bilstein Suspension Kit. It comes with 1" performance lowering springs matched with sport shocks? Thunder sells the kit, but it's located under the "shocks and struts" section, not the springs section.
I am trying to find out the rates on those springs ...
Old 12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zchgla
Does adding better shocks lower it even more? I am going to have duals and hoping to lower about 1.25. I have heard that the *** sags with the pro-kit so i was thinking of doing hotchkis/bmr springs with new shocks, would that drop me a little below 1"?
they will "settle" to a little lower than 1'', ive heard of hotchkis settling over time to even 1.5-2" total...my BMR springs have probably lowered it about exactly what youre looking for, 1.25'' or so
Old 12-05-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mitch

If you are looking for the rate. Can you find out if the valving on the shocks is stock or custom?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I am trying to find out the rates on those springs ...

I've looked for a few days now, but can not find the rates. If you're not able to find out then I'll call Bilstein.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
they will "settle" to a little lower than 1'', ive heard of hotchkis settling over time to even 1.5-2" total...my BMR springs have probably lowered it about exactly what youre looking for, 1.25'' or so
Did you get new shocks? Does that have anything to do with how much springs 'settle' or drop anymore? Would I need new shocks with BMR springs?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zchgla
Did you get new shocks? Does that have anything to do with how much springs 'settle' or drop anymore? Would I need new shocks with BMR springs?
yea, i got the bilsten HD's
i would, as well as just about everyone else, advise that you get new shocks with any kind of lowering springs
Old 12-07-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

02 black your car looks real nice. I didn't even notice it was lowered at hooters, I guess I didn't pay attention or maybe it was because mine was the only one at stock height

I have the BMR kit but I just haven't put it on yet