Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone heard of KYB AGX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of KYB AGX?

They are 8 way adjustable shocks and are priced around $95 each. I am probably gonna get these as an alternative to the HALs because I can't afford their price, I can almost get two KYBs for the price of 1 HAL. :haha:

Just checking to see if any of yall have heard of them, they are adjustable for Handling and Drag Racing. :yup:
Old 12-12-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had those for a short ( a very very short time because there junk ) time, get the HD Bilsteins instead.

Al
Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Junk
Old 12-12-2004, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Well I was looking for something that was adjustable because I want an all around car. Shock that are good for drag racing, and road racing. Will Bilsteins give me that?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have them on my lowered SS. I have had no problems with them and I adjust them for the street and strip also. I can feel the difference as well. I would say they are worth it for the price. Sure they are not the most expensive out there but they still ride nice IMO despite what everyone else says. I say go for it I really have had no complaints with them.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Shocks that are good for every purpose would be Koni SA. They are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. These are the best shocks for f-bodies. Shocks are the most critical component of the f-body suspension and should get first consideration.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Junk!!!!! U get what u paid for, right? I had a set of these on my 99 Firebird and i loved them. I could feel the difference when i adjusted them. I also have a set on my 93 LT1 Camaro I think they are a good quality and best bang for your buck.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first set I put on car had a weak compression stroke ( even set on 8 ) and let the car bottom out, those were only on for a few miles and I re-installed the stock shock. I took the shocks back to the auto parts store and they ordered me another set, when that set came in I set the shocks on number 8 again and I could push them by hand with ease ( a five year old could have done the same ). After two sets I just had them refund me the money and I ordered some Bilsteins instead, I don't mean to insult anyone but I wouldn't use those KYB's on my lawn mower. Again, JMO
Old 12-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

not trying to say that the kyb's are the best but of course you could compress them by hand. You can compress any shock by hand if you just push it up. Try jerking it really fast upwards and then pushing. I know that there is now way you could so by saying you or a 5 year could push it up when the shock is being activated is far from accurate.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rubaseball44
not trying to say that the kyb's are the best but of course you could compress them by hand. You can compress any shock by hand if you just push it up. Try jerking it really fast upwards and then pushing. I know that there is now way you could so by saying you or a 5 year could push it up when the shock is being activated is far from accurate.

I think you're missing my point, it's not the re-bound stroke that's weak it's the compression stroke that's weak. When I say a five year old could compress a KYB shock I mean they could do it with one hand, I'd like to see them do that on new stock DeCarbon shock... in fact I'd like to see you do that with one hand. All I can say is the two sets I had were junk, if you're happy with them then that's great but I found them to be junk.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
I think you're missing my point, it's not the re-bound stroke that's weak it's the compression stroke that's weak. When I say a five year old could compress a KYB shock I mean they could do it with one hand, I'd like to see them do that on new stock DeCarbon shock... in fact I'd like to see you do that with one hand. All I can say is the two sets I had were junk, if you're happy with them then that's great but I found them to be junk.
Almost any shock can be compressed SLOWLY by hand. A brand new HAL on the 12th setting can be SLOWLY compressed by hand. The real judge of a shock is how it reacts to FAST inputs which cannot be judged off the car in your hands! It must be on the car in real world scenario or mounted in expensive shock testing equipment. As far as Kybs are concerned, they are an ok shock for the money. If you can't afford Hals all around I would recommend Kybs in front and Hals in the rear. Better adjustability in the rear for the drag strip with the Hals. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-29-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottoming out is generally a spring problem. When you setup the car you adjust the spring rate to avoid bottoming, the rebound rate helps tune transitionial movements (how quickly the car reacts) and compression controls the "unsprung weight" of the suspension (tires, axles, etc). If you had a bottoming problem, you were either too low or running springs that were too soft for the ride height. Or, you were on some really nasty bumps.

Sway bars are used to balance the handling and fine tune after the spring rates are set.

The KYB's are adjustable, the real problem (for some of us) is the fact that they valve their shocks as a percentage stiffer than stock. Meaning, if the stock valving is way off (and it is) they will be stock, farther off, even farther off, farther than that off, etc. Koni tunes their shocks to the car and not using the stock valving as a baseline.

Yes, the KYB's work. Many will be quite happy with them. They are not optimum, or even terribly close to optimum for performance use due to the valving being slightly "out in left field". If you have 10 adjustments and all of them are too stiff, what good are 10 adjustments? (that is the best way I can explain it).

Anyway, I won't call them junk, I'll say that they are a reasonably affordable shock that is adjustable but happens to have adjustments that don't work terribly well for our cars (the valving is not matched to the application).

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of KYB AGX?