Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how much do slp bolt in sfc improve handling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much do slp bolt in sfc improve handling?

just wondering if anyone has installed slp's bolt in subframe connectors on a stock suspension 98 or newer f-body? does it really tighten it up? i have an o2 ss sunset orange metallic
Old 12-20-2004, 07:15 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I believe they do, but I'm going by what I've read. Do a search, you'll find a lot of info on this.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my weld-in G2 sfc's REALLY tightened up the frame. It's a lot more pleasant to drive now. No rattles or squeaks and improved handling
Old 12-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I haven't used SLPs but know a thing or two about SFC's

They are definitely worth the money. I always recommend them as one of the first mods to install. Believe me, once your car starts producing squeeks and rattles, it'll start to bug you. The SFCs tie in the main points of your frame and really creates a rigid form. They'll help stop the rattles from forming as well as reduce some of the ones you already have. We try and sell these first to all our 1st time F-body owners.

I personally don't like the bolt on SFCs. I'd stick with weld ins.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have them. They really tightened up the car. My dash no longer pops and creaks going over bumps, and my t-tops have not rattled since (I dont care how miles you have on a t-top car, they rattle) I have been down several curvy roads, and they really show there stuff. The car is very solid in turns, does not feel sloppy. I would definitely recommend SFC's. I went with the SLP's because they triangulate, and are very beefy, as compared to the G2 which come with some sort of dinky v-bracing. Also the triangle portion of the SLP's actually rest tight against the floor pan, kind of making a floor pan brace. I dont know if it helps the body flex at all, but it seems like it could.
As for weld in vs bolt in. I was worried about bolting them in, but I just used loctite. They have about 3500 miles on them, and I have not had one bolt loosen up.

I did a write-up on my install titled "Installed my SLP SFC's today" if you are interested. Also trackbird and darkage53 are two people that can answer any questions you could have.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

I have the SLP bolt-in SFCs. They tightened my car up a lot. I have zero squeaks and the only rattles I have come from my ragged-ss Y pipe. I picked mine up used for $105. I have no qualms about using the bolt-ins. They've been on for a year with no problems, no bolts loosening up. Hell, very other piece of your suspension bolts on.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will reduce squeaks and rattles (I welded my SLP's on a brand new car at about 1,000 miles or so). I can't say that they will do much for handling. The car will feel better, but skid pad numbers and lap times will not change much if at all (the only way I can think of to measure "handling"). I still recommend them as a first mod and you can build from there. But, they are not the miracle cure for cornering, just part of a package.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had them on my car for 2 years and I love them, the car is still very solid over the road and IMOP the car handle's alot flatter through the turn's and they helped out alot for the overall handling. I did tie them together with SLP's drive shaft loop which is a very solid peice also which I think helped out too.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

SFC & STB = GREAT MODS (cheap too)
Old 12-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bolt them in , then weld 'em!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

I built my own for like $40. I used to plans from bmr, from there pictures and the specs on the metal size and thickness. I'm glad I did, tightened up the handeling and lessnessed the rattle inside all the way. I would get em if I were you, but deafantly have them welded in also, just for extra security.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the bolt-in SLPs, and welded them in shortly thereafter. There was no difference between welding them in and bolting them in feel-wise, but with them, the car feels so much more solid. I am extremely happy with these pieces...besides headers, it was the most noticeable mod to date on my car.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
bolt them in , then weld 'em!

I really don't see why anyone would buy bolt in's and then have them welded too, I've had my bolt in's on for 3 years and torqued and loc-tite the bolts and I hit the curve's pretty hard with this car and have never had one bolt loosen up on me.

Quick Reply: how much do slp bolt in sfc improve handling?