Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Did I just mess up my ABS :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Did I just mess up my ABS :(

ok, like most of you know, it's snowing here [ NJ ] like crazy [ 9" already by now ] ...

Anyways, so since I live in an apt complex, I decided to clean the snow and move the car to a "better spot" where the snow plow [plough sp? lol] had already cleaned up...

So, with a bit shoveling and juggling, I managed to get the car out to a better spot... However, in the process of doing so, I saw the " ABS INOP " light come on alongwith the " BRAKE " light...

The " BRAKE " did not come on after I restarted the car.. but the " ABS INOP " light is still there..

Just wondering how bad and what could it be ? I hope it's just a blown fuse or something minor!!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your tires were spinning alot that can make the computer think the abs is messed up. When I dyoned my car I had that light on for about 5min afterwards. Probably just due to wheel spin, I wouldn't worry about it, unless the problem persists.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
If your tires were spinning alot that can make the computer think the abs is messed up. When I dyoned my car I had that light on for about 5min afterwards. Probably just due to wheel spin, I wouldn't worry about it, unless the problem persists.

yea, def. spinning alot !.. Would I need to reset the PCM [disconnect the battery] to fix this .. if it is indeed because of wheel spin ?

thanks!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO, drive the car when the roads are clear. At a certain vehicle speed, the computer will see the abs is ok. That is the only way to reset the abs light. Reseting the computer will not turn the light off. Once all 4 wheels reach a certain speed (8-15 mph) at the same time, the light will go out.

Quick Reply: Did I just mess up my ABS :(