Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good spring/shock combo. Daily driving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good spring/shock combo. Daily driving.

Ok I've been searching for hours and I just can't get the answer I'm looking for.

Basically I want a spring/shock combo that's gonna last for quite sometime I'm doing them both at the same time to save me the hassle of having to mess with them for a while.

I drive my car everyday. Not really looking to auto-x or open track the car, but I'm looking for something that's gonna increase handling. I know that I sacrifice ride quality when I lower my car.

I don't want Eibachs. I was thinking Bilstein HD's as far as the shocks go, but I don't want them to turn to **** because of aftermarket springs. I was gonna go Bilstein HD's revalved, but they aren't on Strano's site anymore.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eibach Pro kit and Bilstien HD's are the most cost effective way to get what you're looking for.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would look into the DMS spring instead of the eibach one, they were both designed by eibach tech's from what i remember reading, but the dms has a better spring rate for the drop. The bilstiens seem to be the shock of choice for all around durability and long life
Old 01-24-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is that the Bilstiens don't want much of a spring rate increase over stock. That's why I suggested the Eibachs. They seem to be workable with the Bilstien shocks, though close to the limits. If you go much stiffer, I'd suggest a revalved bilstien or a Koni SA.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've an alternative to offer, keep stock springs, upgrade shocks (bilstiens will be a significant improvement, and stock springs will match up perfectly), and then add some big aftermarket swaybars.

Swaybars won't have much affect on ride quality, but offer noticably less body roll while cornering, and with a good shock offers exceptional transitional behavior.

I'm still running stock springs on my car. Handles great, and isn't significantly rougher than the stock ride. The one downside is ride height. I'm running Koni shocks, so I've got the front a bit lower with the lower spring perch, and the rear is lower with the rubber isolator deleted, but there are always concerns with the stock spring rate not being high enough for a lowered vehicle. On harsh bumps I do believe I have hit the rear bumpstops on occasion, but for the most part it's a really nice ride.

shocks/swaybars, and stock springs are still a huge improvement in handling over completely stock, and with minimal impact on ride quality. Just another option. I do plan on going with more aggressive aftermarket springs in the near future, but I'm not concerned with ride quality all that much. This was just the upgrade path I personally chose.

Quick Reply: Good spring/shock combo. Daily driving.