Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear ride height adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear ride height adjustment?

Does anyone out there make adjustable ride height inserts for the rear springs on an F body? I've seen them, just cant find them. I installed a pro-kit and the back of the car sits too low. Believe it or not I have plunger ends inserted in the top of the isolators now and it's perfect but it's kinda a hokie way to get the height I want.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Ground Control makes rear adjusters. You'll need a shorter spring though.

http://www.ground-control.com/?D=72f...7607aca9045a31
Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Ground Control makes rear adjusters. You'll need a shorter spring though.

http://www.ground-control.com/?D=72f...7607aca9045a31
Thanks...
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lightbulb Cutting Board Spacer

I have the Ground Control kit, but you have to buy their spring as well.

I remember seeing a guy cut some spacers out of a couple plastic cutting boards. You can put the spacer in between the spring isolator and the body and that would be better than adding extra flex into the spring path.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by white01ss
I remember seeing a guy cut some spacers out of a couple plastic cutting boards. You can put the spacer in between the spring isolator and the body and that would be better than adding extra flex into the spring path.
I remember seeing that too. Don't recall where or by whom, though. I think I remember Louis mentioning at one point that they had 1/4" spacers too- might give him a call.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Ground Control kit, but you have to buy their spring as well.

I just ordered the ground control kit only, no springs. $92. This should also help when I install my 11 x 17's as well in case I need a little more clearance.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok. I meant you should have springs that are much shorter that stock because those adjusters start off about 1/2" or so higher than the stock spring perch. That''s because they sit on top of the stock spring perch then you can raise the rear about 2 1/2" inches from there. You could also remove the spring isolator to lower it 3/4" more and get into the sweet spot.

I suppose if all you wanted to do was raise 1/2" then it would work and now you can balance the ride height. The cutting board spacer is much cheaper if money's a concern.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. I meant you should have springs that are much shorter that stock because those adjusters start off about 1/2" or so higher than the stock spring perch. That''s because they sit on top of the stock spring perch then you can raise the rear about 2 1/2" inches from there. You could also remove the spring isolator to lower it 3/4" more and get into the sweet spot.

I suppose if all you wanted to do was raise 1/2" then it would work and now you can balance the ride height. The cutting board spacer is much cheaper if money's a concern.
Yes, I was going to go the spacer route but the ammount of lift I needed would have put me close to the end of the perch with the end of the spring. Didn't think that was the safest route to go. I'll most like cut a half coil off the spring before I remove the isolators. The rear eibachs are kinda soft anyway and removing a half coil should hurt too much. The isolators provide some noise dampening so I'd like to keep those on.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

And that 'sitting on top of the spring perch' is a hokie setup too IMO. I wish I'd have seen this earlier, I'd have given you my GC spring jacks. I took mine off & inserted some 4" dia Mr Gasket spring isolaters on the 2nd coil from the top. Now my car sits where I want it with 315s & actually rides better too. I always worried about taking a hard corner under power & having one of the GC jacks pop out! There are a lot of smart guys like Strano that have used them, but I don't like the design. Now if you cut the nipple off the perch & welded them on....
Old 02-02-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ssPetess you could always replace the upper isolator with heater hose. This will give you about another 1/2" of play and still have the sound dampening. I would try to stay away from cutting the spring as much as possible
Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

So would this kit help on an Eibach Pro kit because I also have one side sitting lower than the other....
Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Golden One
So would this kit help on an Eibach Pro kit because I also have one side sitting lower than the other....
It helped me with my prokits. I cut off the top coil and adjusted up the passenger side a 1/4" and the car sits perfect. I'll post some pics of the stance and the adjusters later tonight...
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And that 'sitting on top of the spring perch' is a hokie setup too IMO. I wish I'd have seen this earlier, I'd have given you my GC spring jacks. I took mine off & inserted some 4" dia Mr Gasket spring isolaters on the 2nd coil from the top. Now my car sits where I want it with 315s & actually rides better too. I always worried about taking a hard corner under power & having one of the GC jacks pop out! There are a lot of smart guys like Strano that have used them, but I don't like the design. Now if you cut the nipple off the perch & welded them on....
I see your point and I had the same concerns but I grinded away a bit of the perches to accommodate the welds and the jacks sit flush now plus with the suspension loaded, I don't believe there is any way the jacks could move, even taking a hard corner. Sucks going through all this **** just because Pro-kit sells saggy *** rear springs, I must have had my rear suspension apart 15 times messing with it... I now finally have it perfect.

Quick Reply: rear ride height adjustment?