Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What years of f-bodies have 3 channel abs vs 4 channel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What years of f-bodies have 3 channel abs vs 4 channel?

In the market for a ta, and would like to put a ford 9" in and need to know before purchasing one, which brakes the difference years have.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

4 channel is for cars with the traction control option (TCS, ASR), and 3 channel is just the regular ABS.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is off topic but why did they call it ASR in the Camaro and TCS in the Bird? Does it function the exact same?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martingale
This is off topic but why did they call it ASR in the Camaro and TCS in the Bird? Does it function the exact same?
ASR and TCS are respectively just the Chevrolet and Pontiac traction control acronyms I'm pretty sure. They are identical in the f-bodies.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've noticed that LS1 ASR in Camaros reacts slower than the LT1 TCS in the Trans Am's.
anyone else notice this? 99 SS vs 96 Trans Am, both 6 speeds, both with 4.10 gears.
93-97 have smaller front and rear disc brakes, 98-02 have larger front and rear discs.
3 Channel ABS has the reluctor ring in the pumpkin attached to the ring gear and a sensor in the top of the pumpkin and one brake line that splits to 2 going to each rear caliper.
4 Channel with TCS/ASR has reluctor rings on the axels behind the stud plate with sensors in the Backing plates and have seperate brake lines, one to each rear caliper.

It is also possible to retrofit the 98-02 brakes onto a 93-97.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TCS = Traction Control System (as I remember)
ASR = Automatic Slip Regulation (as I remember)

Should be "same/same".
Old 01-27-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BowtieFreak
In the market for a ta, and would like to put a ford 9" in and need to know before purchasing one, which brakes the difference years have.
The only true 4-channel ABS is the Bosch 5.3 system in 1998-up F-bodies with traction control (ASR = TCS = GM trying to gloss over the fact that Camaros and Firebirds are mechanically identical). But with regards to an aftermarket rear axle, if the car has traction control the rear axle will need to be set up for 4-channel since cars with TC have two rear wheel speed sensors reading off the hubs instead of one sensor reading off the ring gear. That goes for all 4th-gens.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Looking at used cars at the dealerships... NONE of them hve teh TCS... is this a rare option????
Old 01-28-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking at used cars at the dealerships... NONE of them hve teh TCS... is this a rare option????
I did a lot of shopping around when I bought my '94, and even more shopping around when I got the '02. I only found 1 with ASR/TCS. It wasn't available until mid-year '94, and I guess it didn't find its way into many cars.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
I did a lot of shopping around when I bought my '94, and even more shopping around when I got the '02. I only found 1 with ASR/TCS. It wasn't available until mid-year '94, and I guess it didn't find its way into many cars.
My 2002 has it, and I didn't want it, but 6 speed LS1's were getting hard to find new on the lot in May of 2002 and I was stuck with it.

Last edited by trackbird; 01-28-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zepher
I've noticed that LS1 ASR in Camaros reacts slower than the LT1 TCS in the Trans Am's.
anyone else notice this? 99 SS vs 96 Trans Am, both 6 speeds, both with 4.10 gears.
93-97 have smaller front and rear disc brakes, 98-02 have larger front and rear discs.
3 Channel ABS has the reluctor ring in the pumpkin attached to the ring gear and a sensor in the top of the pumpkin and one brake line that splits to 2 going to each rear caliper.
4 Channel with TCS/ASR has reluctor rings on the axels behind the stud plate with sensors in the Backing plates and have seperate brake lines, one to each rear caliper.

It is also possible to retrofit the 98-02 brakes onto a 93-97.
yes, i remember researching before i bought my ls1 and reading that the old system got alot of complaints cause it intervened too much. GM responded to this by easing up the system and allowing the wheels to slip a little before kicking in. i didnt know it would be a noticable difference, or maybe your just very observant
Old 01-29-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
My 2002 has it, and I didn't want it, but 6 speed LS1's were getting hard to find new on the lot in May of 2002 and I was stuck with it.
I think most of the optional stuff like the power steering cooler, the Hurst shifter and the HD Torsen diff became standard in 2002 MY. Maybe traction control did too? My 6-speed was the only '02 I could find, and it was the only one I looked at with ASR.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

With a 9" swap you will either NEED a 4 ch car or be running without ABS/TCS as the 3 ch has the reluctor ring inside the housing. No 9" rear is currently offered with this - only axle mounted rings for ABS/TCS which indicates a 4 ch system.
I have a 2000 without any TCS and it has a 3 ch rear, but most every 2001-2002 car I've seen has 4 ch even without TCS.
I think you will be looking for a 2000 - 2002 car and need to be sure the ABS wires plug out by the rotors(4 ch), not one single plug into the top of the rear center section (3 ch).
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Ive got a question....how bad is it buying a 3 channel 12 bolt to replace a 4 channel stocker?? I know Ill lose my TCS and ABS, but if the rear is a 3 channel from moser should i just get a light and thats it? I dont want to sacrifice my braking because thats really important! Can u help me out??
Old 02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
Ive got a question....how bad is it buying a 3 channel 12 bolt to replace a 4 channel stocker?? I know Ill lose my TCS and ABS, but if the rear is a 3 channel from moser should i just get a light and thats it? I dont want to sacrifice my braking because thats really important! Can u help me out??
I tried the opposite - I have a 3ch car and wanted to use a 4ch Moser. You lose everything and the swap of components in the new rear is not worth it.
If you want to maintain your 4ch ABS you need to get a rear set up with the same 4 ch your car came with. Sucks.
I'm getting a new Strange 3 ch to make the pain go away
Old 02-03-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

I spoke with the guys at moser and found out what parts i would need...it would run me about 700 installed. That is still significantly less than a brand new 12 bolt.... I still dont know yet cause I dont want me losing my abs become a hazard.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
I spoke with the guys at moser and found out what parts i would need...it would run me about 700 installed. That is still significantly less than a brand new 12 bolt.... I still dont know yet cause I dont want me losing my abs become a hazard.
sure you need the axles with reluctor rings to put into the 3 ch rear. Then all you 4 ch stuff should fit and plug in maintaining your ABS. Then you just leave the 3 ch sensor hole plugged in the top of the rear.
I was thinking like my deal, I needed to pull the guts out and install the 3 ch ring by the rimg gear on the posi, drill out and install the ABS senser etc. much more involved!
Do you have a 3 ch rear and want a 4 ch rear? I might be interested in your 3 ch!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

im getting a 3ch to replace my stock 4 ch. Its a 12 bolt and I see you have a 9" im also doing a swap so id be without a rear if i were to trade. Im just going to order the axles and all the other stuff i need to make it a 4ch again. Ill do without the ABS for a few months
Old 02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Teching In

No disrespect guys but why go through the troubles of retaining ABS. If you remove it, it has no effect on normal braking. Is ABS that much of a concern for you guys? Once again, I’m not flaming or disrespecting anyone here.

To bias your braking, replace the abs modulator with a proportioning valve.

I'd suspect most guys have never even used their ABS on their car. I'd leave it off, disconnect and remove it all and save all the headaches and the extra expense. As I mentioned before, ABS is more of a headache then it's worth for guys that are road racing or drag racing. Gain space, loose weight and less cost by eliminating it.

Billingsley Racing has a nice abs delete block and SJM Manufacting has a delete kit which you can use to remove all the parts and clean up space.

You can do it yourself if your handy and resourceful.

Good luck to all.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwikz28
yes, i remember researching before i bought my ls1 and reading that the old system got alot of complaints cause it intervened too much. GM responded to this by easing up the system and allowing the wheels to slip a little before kicking in. i didnt know it would be a noticable difference, or maybe your just very observant
It was very noticable. The Trans Am instantly kicked the pedal back and pulsed the rear brakes and did whatever else the TCS is supposed to do.
The Camaro would get a little sideways before the ASR kicked in.

Quick Reply: What years of f-bodies have 3 channel abs vs 4 channel?