Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Newb question about LCA, Panhard bar, and Sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newb question about LCA, Panhard bar, and Sway bar

hey all, i have never done a suspension mod to my car and i saw that perhaps i could greatly improve the hadnling of my car with just a few simple and cheap additions, but i have a few questions. my car is stock everything suspension wise, i am for sure going to get SFC, what kidna improvement can i expect from them? they will be the SLP bolt on design. another thing is that that i am concerned about with the lca, sway bar, and panhard bar is the ride quality. I only want to do these if ride quality and comfort are SLIGHTLY lost, i read on install university that with the sway bar the ride got much harsher, but i was unsure as to the other 2. I want to get all BMR products if that helps, thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sway bars have nothing to do with a harsh ride. In my opinion that was the most noticible upgrade I did with my suspension. I did subframe connectors first, didn't notice much difference since I had them welded in a few weeks after I bought the car, then I did rear lower control arms, definitely noticed a difference with those, back end less loose. Then I did the sway bars and noticed a huge improvement in cornering, made the car so much more fun to drive. then I did the shocks and springs, although stiffer springs, improved the overall ride quality since the shocks are valved to the springs. I also replaced the panhard bar, you will get no noticable ride or handling improvement with this, it's just for centering the rear. Lastly I upgraded the tires, was a great improvement over the stock tires. All I have left to do is the torque arm. In short, I would do SFC's first, then swaybars & control arms.

Oh, BMR would be my last choice for any suspension component...

All that with my GMMG makes for a whole lot of fun driving
Old 01-28-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey thanks for the summary! two new questions, whyw ould BMR be your last choice for those parts? also, will i get NOTHING out of a new panhard bar? ive seen wher people put them on a stock ride height setup and if they get nothing, why do they even bother? thanks!!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
hey thanks for the summary! two new questions, whyw ould BMR be your last choice for those parts? also, will i get NOTHING out of a new panhard bar? ive seen wher people put them on a stock ride height setup and if they get nothing, why do they even bother? thanks!!
Perhaps with a rear end swap, the rear is no longer centered. But I am also wondering about BMR...I haven't heard much negative opinions about their products.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUNole17

The PHB will remove the "slop" that the factory rubber bushings (and flexible bar) allow. That will keep the rear end under the car where it belongs and prevent the car from "wiggling" (in relation to the axle) during hard cornering (for lack of a better desciption). It will make the car feel more positive and was the first thing to go on my 2002 when I drove it home from the dealership. I usually start my suspension mods there (and SFC's) and work my way though. Is it a huge change? Not really, but it will "tighten" things up and make the car behave as if it's actually one piece and not many seperate pieces (did that make sense?). It all goes where you point it at once.

I'd recommend one.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

yes, a phb is recommendable but one of those mods that really dont "show you" or dramatically change your rides characteristics. a sfc swap for example, be more of a change that you will notice right away.

A simple suggestion is dont get it all done right away because you might not like the out come. You could first get sfc and then swap the sway bars. That should get the ride tighter and "pointing where you want it to point." Then swap the lca, phb and lca relocation brakets.

As for where the parts come from, search through everything. At first i was like like BMR all the way because that is wat i knew. But then i learned a bit more and figured that there are other sponsors and not just BMR. Try Sam Strano, he should lead you in the right direction. Or Spohn, LG.....all just a few clicks away-------------------->>>
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 AM

phr and lca's is the ticket...
Old 01-31-2005, 08:27 AM
7 Second Club

BMR: PHB, LCA, SFC, Xtreme TA, and Xtreme swaybar... couldnt be happier... great stuff.... hooks much better... even on street tires...

Quick Reply: Newb question about LCA, Panhard bar, and Sway bar