Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My car rides like crap. I need some suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My car rides like crap. I need some suggestions.

What set-ups, if any are available that increase performance but still retain decent ride quality?

What I want is for my car to be more solid on uneven rodes. It feels like my car is going to fall apart when I drive on barely uneven road surfaces. I want a smoother ride but I don't want bodyroll from soft springs/shocks.

I cut my springs over two years ago. I know alot of people think cutting springs gives you that bouncy ride but thats only when you use a torch to cut them on the car when its loaded. The heat from the torch changes the spring rate. By cutting them, the spring rate barely changes. I simply removed approx. one coil after the flat coil. I've said it before, it gives the stance I want, increases cornering, keeps the stock ride (less harsh than lowering springs) and it's free. The ride height hasn't changed at all over the lat two years and the ride quality didn't change much at all after I cut them so that is why I don't think it is the springs.

I think it is the shocks. I think compressing the springs (whether using cut springs or aftermarket springs) has alot to do with it. I also have aftermarket LCA's and PHR. The LG pieces are poly on the side that connects to the car and rod-end on the sides that connect to the rear. I know these may be partially the reason but the front is bumpy too.

Do you guys think performance shocks will help and if so what kind?
I don't care if the ride is firm, I just want to get rid of the feeling that I'm bottoming out the suspension when I hit a shallow pothole.

I was thinking about stiffening up the chassis with a strut tower brace and subframe connectors. Would a 4pt. roll cage be better than SFC's? I am looking into the hotchkis STB. I had a BMR but it wouldn't clear my valve breather. I don't really like the Hotchkis desgin though. It uses the mounts that uses bolts that stretch and twist. I am also looking into the hothkis SFC's. I do like that design. I am torn between those and the global west. The GB SFC's are two-point front to back but are two inches tubular and the weld would cover alot of surface area.

If they don't make shocks like I'm asking for, I was thinking about going to air ride. That way I can have it solid or firm. Airride technologies came out with a kit. I may look into it if it isn't too expensive.

Last edited by SStolen; 02-10-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get some stock, uncut springs. You do whatever you want. But that's what I would do.

Then I'd put them with a set of Sam Strano's Koni Single Adjustable front shocks and Bilstien rear shocks (although I think he is selling the Koni SA rear shocks for just a few dollars more now). You can get a pretty good stance with this setup too - the front Konis have a lower perch that drops the front a bit, and you take the isolator off the rear springs and replace with heater hose to drop the rear.

The above resulted in a much more controlled ride on my car - which was more comfortable as a result of not bouncing around as much. It's not quite like a CTS or a 540 like I wanted (it's more like an M3), but I think it's the best that can be done. It feels like Mom's F55 Vette set to "sport". No more bottoming out (which was mostly a problem in the rear with the stock DeCarbons).

SFCs and STB didn't make much difference in ride, I just put them on early in the car's life on the theory that they would help it hold together. Try the BMR LT1 SS style strut tower brace - it is canted back toward the firewall, (to clear the airbox on the LS1 SS which is mounted above and behind the throttle body) and may clear your breather.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its your springs and shocks. My friend had Bilstein HDs with cut stock springs. He then switched to DMS springs and he is VERY happy with the improvement of ride quality.

Quick Reply: My car rides like crap. I need some suggestions.