Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with inner tie rod change

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with inner tie rod change

i need to change my inner tie rods. Does anyone have any tips, or an install guide that I can follow?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there, done that ...

Here are a couple pictures that shows what it looks like next to the rack ...

http://webpages.charter.net/mitchntx/TieRod1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mitchntx/TieRod2.jpg

See those flats? I used a crescent wrench. They aren't that tight, but when you go back on use loctight.

Cut the metal bands on the boot and slide it back. When you put the boot back on, some heavy nylon tie wraps should do the trick. there is no loading, so it should stay just fine. At least mine has for almost 3 years ...

It's not hard and very straight forward.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

ok here's how to do it. take wheel off. loosen the 22mm jam nut that you'll see on the tie rod end. then remove outer tie rod end from spindle. 21mm castellated nut with a cotter pin.easy way to remove outer tie rod from spindle is to loosen nut. hit with hammer until it pops out. then take nut off. if you have a pickle fork great. but the first way doesn't damage boot. now, unscrew outer tie rod end from inner. count how many turns it took to get the outer tie rod off. take jam nut off. next, release clamp from small end of boot. take large clamp off inner side of boot. slide boot off. now, you'll see what you saw in the pics. cresent wrench or appropriate sized wrench to remove inner tie rod end. install in reverse order. boot and clamps, jam nut. outer tie rod end ( remember i said to count how many turns to take it off). install outer tie rod end to spindle. reinsert cotter pin. put wheel back on. the counting of the turns will get the toe setting pretty close to what it was originally until you get to an alignment shop. if you want, you can drive to mine. just a short trip to florida is all.

Last edited by mrr23; 02-24-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help/info. I should be good to go from here. Between the pics the info and a few cuss words (my contribution) to coax it out I should get er done.

Quick Reply: help with inner tie rod change