Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

clunking/shifting rear end under load

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking/shifting rear end under load

i wrecked my car and ever since it hasn't been right. it was repaired(for the most part) but now on initial acceleration i can hear and feel the rear end shift as if it is loose. same thing when going to reverse from a stop. also under heavy braking i can hear/feel the rear end shift/clunk as if something is loose.

the wreck mostly damaged my front right suspension but apparently the right rear was also damaged...

anyone have any ideas what it could be? they replaced the lower control arm on the right rear but i noticed the rear bracket that the lca is connected to is bent. could that be all it is
Old 03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Start with the simple stuff first.
Loose torque arm, LCA's, Shocks, PHB
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car was doing that too. when i would change gears and when i would touch the gas. thought the rear end was trash. took the car to carx to see if they could get a better view than i could in a driveway. my passenger lca had a radius fracture from 2-10 o'clock . i replaced it and thought that was all that was wrong. but the rear kept getting louder and louder. i asked carx to check it again same guy at the counter as the first time i was there. he remembered me but not the diagnosis. i asked if he would put the car on the rack again and check the car. he stated that i would be charged $70 for the check-up. while he and i were talking he took 2 phone calls and told the people on the line that he would check their cars for free. (for the record i didnt have them install the lca's because 1 they will not warrantee the work when installing aftermarked parts and 2 its just to damn easy) so since he would not look at the car i took it to midas. guy who worked on it explained he had a 98 t/a. went for a ride with me and listened for the sound. car went on their rack and my transmission mount was toast. he called me out into the bay and pushed up on the transmission and the damn thing moved like 3-4 inches. they order the mount and i had them put it in.(im aware its not hard but it in the middle of the belly of the beast. the control arms are far easier to get to in a driveway. besides i live in STL where is still chilly) i was unaware the trans mounts could be such a pain. i love my car again. i was thinking it was the rear end again.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

What About The C-clips
Old 03-18-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm having the same type of noise. i'm thinking it could be the tranny mount. i've tightened the **** outta everything else under there.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same noise. My first thought was the trans mount as well. Just too lazy to get under there and check it out lol.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, changed the tranny mount today to a poly unit. the old one was demolished!!! seems to have helped the noise. though i have a lot more vibration in the back of the car (heat shields and all that crap) but i guess that's because of the tranny not flappin in the breeze anymore and absorbing all the vibration on the way to the back. lol.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

go back over all bolts and nuts to check for backed off nuts..

Quick Reply: clunking/shifting rear end under load