Polyurethane vs rod end bushings for street

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane vs rod end bushings for street

Hi
I am planning a few supension mods to my Camaro and I am woundering what type of busing to go for on the control arms and A arms. I have been told that rod ends or spherical bushing are noisy and will produce an unconfortable ride. However, some manufactures claim they are quiter and superior for street use then poly or rubber. I also noticed that almost all lower A arms for 4th generation cars only come with rod end bushings. Any thoughts?

It is just for street use, but I figure if I am going to spend the money, I may as well get all the control possible and not worry too much about the ride quality.

JA
Old 03-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Teching In

The poly bushings are a lot rougher ride than the stock rubber.Not as much difference between poly and rod ends.you probably won't notice the difference between poly and rod ends.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/268786-final-analysis-rod-ends-vs-actual-street-manners.html
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
RMB
On The Tree

do not use rod ends on the street....get the poly.Its a hell of alot more comfortable to live with.I have done both, its no comparison. If you like get both and changem out when you go to the track.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RMB
do not use rod ends on the street....get the poly.Its a hell of alot more comfortable to live with.I have done both, its no comparison.
This blanket statement is misleading for several reasons. I would highly suggest reading the link I posted above in addition to doing a search...
Old 04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get Poly,I have rod ends on everything and it blows for a street car..
Old 04-06-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

no, dont just get a set of poly because that is your only alternative. In the thread above, it was well discussed and proven, through some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum related to suspension, not including myself of within this group, that a poly bushing in a lca for example, though not as harsh as a set of rod ends, isnt wat you would want in a bushing. There are just to many negatives that make me feel that you cannot just compromise just because they are your only alternative.

At the bottom of the page, JON A has a set of rubber/rod that look to be the next best altenative if you care about ride quality.

AGAIN, imo, dont get poly unless it is in combination with a rod end; and even them im skeptical. unless you want to waste your hard earned mula, dont give in!!! Unfortunately, this is a subject that is in much that is being tugged from both sides of the arena and no one, including myself, has the right to change your mind forcefully about wat you feel. however, follow some of the threads and then make you educated decision. Also, just because most of the sponsors and other merchants have only these products, that doesnt mean that you should stick to those....get creative.

With that, a nice set of rod ends, qa-1'z, will last longer, be less noisier when not worn out, and plant your rear in place.; when compared to a poly bushing. They are the best solution but are also extreme when considering "normal" street ride quality. Normal being caddy smooth, not wooden wheel wagon crossing a mountain pass back in the 1800'z, smooth!!!

hmhehehe....

good luck man....

good luck!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Default Thanks for the info

Hi

The link is great help, thanks. I feel for the rear control arms anyway, going with rod ends is not all that risky to try, as they are fairly easy to change out. If I am unhappy with the noise/ride I can switch to one of the combination bushing setups. I will give it a try.

JA
Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run all Billensley CM rod ended components
There hardcore but can be run on the street,if u dont mind noise then go for it.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

im trying to decide this too.. .hmm let me think i got 89$ lakewood control arms with poly bushings.... the completely kicked the stock control arms ***! and i coudn't feel or hear a difference except no wheel hop lol. so, do i want noisy rod ends, not really, if poly wasn't better then stock i would, but a upgrade is a upgrade... if a tq arm and control arms and phb with poly **** can drop my 60ft 2.5 tenths, and all the same stuff with rod ends can drop it 2.6 tenths of a second, but make driving on the street shitty, then im going to stick with the poly bushings ect, course this is just an example but.. ive read and searched all these threads and to many guys wind up having to swap back for me to be comfortable with my low budget.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Banned

I have true duals and a stripped down interior so i really dont care about road noise. They are a little clunky on shitty roads, but unless you're driving on train tracks you wont notice em. I personally bought my car to perform as a high performance driving machine and i expect it to do just that. With that said i wouldnt waste my moo-lah on poly joints.

I suggest the billingsley double rod ended chromoly lca's. you'll thank me later

Nate

Quick Reply: Polyurethane vs rod end bushings for street