Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How is a "coil-over" different from a strut ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How is a "coil-over" different from a strut ?

Please educate me on coil-overs vs. struts vs. shocks.

Which ones are on the front of 4th gens from the factory ? Struts, correct ?

As far as I know, struts position the spring between a support midway up the strut and the body of the car. Shocks position the spring between the body and the rear axle. I've understood coil-overs to be an "upgrade" to struts/shocks, enabling them to have variable ride height.

I don't think I've ever seen a late-model car run "shocks" on the front.

Thanks !
Bad30th
Old 04-15-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

4th gens have shocks on all 4 corners.

The difference between shocks and struts is struts bear lateral loads, while shocks do not.

"Coil-over" is essentially putting the coil, over the shock. Products like Ground Control's coil-overs allow for height adjustability.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you use existing springs..ie ive got G2 springs can I use thoes over the Bilstiens with a Coil-over collar?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad30th
I don't think I've ever seen a late-model car run "shocks" on the front.
Late model F-bods and Vettes use shocks up front. The F-bod IS a bit of an oddball since it mounts the spring on the shock. Struts serve other purposes beyond just dampening oscillation, which is the primary goal of a pure "shock". MacPherson/Chapman Struts, for example, mount the spring in addition to serving as the upper control arm. This is a cheaper and in some cases lighter alternative to a shock/spring/double-wishbone configuration. One of the main problems is that it requires a higher mounting point on the chassis, so its generally more suitable for road-going cars.

IMO "coil-over" is a pretty generic term that mainly implies the use of a coil spring mounted on a shock absorber with adjustment capability. The term is really used interchangeably as an upgrade for both shock/spring-equipped setups and strut setups. For example, you can get "coil-overs" for your late-model Vette (fiberglass transverse leaf spring with upper and lower A-arms), for your F-body (shocks with upper and lower A-arms), and for a Subaru WRX (struts).

Last edited by Fulton 1; 04-15-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BitViper
Can you use existing springs..ie ive got G2 springs can I use thoes over the Bilstiens with a Coil-over collar?
I am interested in this question as well. I will also have G2 springs, eventually, and would like to do the ground control conversion if possible. If it is possible what are the effects for compressing the springs to get a lower ride height. Would Koni SA's help any negative effects of compressing the springs with a ground control kit?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm pretty sure that you have to use shorter springs with the GC perches. You might give them a call to confirm...
Old 04-18-2005, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
I am interested in this question as well. I will also have G2 springs, eventually, and would like to do the ground control conversion if possible. If it is possible what are the effects for compressing the springs to get a lower ride height. Would Koni SA's help any negative effects of compressing the springs with a ground control kit?
First on all, the GC kit is not a true coilover, it is simply a conversion sleeve that lets you adjust the ride height. It uses a universal race spring 2.5" inner diameter with a 10" free height and flat cut ends. You cannot use the factory springs with their big and little coil ends. They won't fit at all.

Secondly, you can not compress the springs. The ride height is adjusted by moving the lower spring perch up or down.

Koni SA's work extremly well with the GC conversion, but are unique in that you have to either grind away some metal from the top hat of the shock or else make a tool to remove the top hat from the shock in order to allow the GC sleeve to slide onto the shock. It's not too difficult and definately worth it.

Most other shocks use a removable top cap and is easier to slide the sleeves over.

Here's some pics of my setup.
Name:  f7271ff1.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  133.9 KB
Name:  5a76fbce.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  170.0 KB
Name:  FrontSpringSwap117copy.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  7.7 KB
Name:  KoniSAshocksandGCkit7copy.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  121.2 KB
Name:  Ground_down_top_hats.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  36.1 KB
Name:  Front_Adjuster_Window.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  62.0 KB

You also don't HAVE to use the GC rear kit either. The rear springs can be modded for almost nothing to give you the rate and height you want.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Jason
Old 04-18-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LG carries true coilovers. They use a special shock sometimes with a threaded body, no rubber bushings on either end, are more race oriented and cost a lot more ($2000). You don't need true coilovers for an F-body unless it's a race only car.
Here's LG's front setup:
Name:  FrontLGCoilOvers1.jpg
Views: 2302
Size:  58.4 KB

Hals has a drag setup:
Old 04-22-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How is a "coil-over" different from a strut ?