Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel Brace any point to it..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunnel Brace any point to it..

I was looking to do a few more suspension mods to the car and have seen the tunnel brace. Is there any real reason to get it. Is the stamped one on the car really that bad. Just wondering if its a worth wild mod to tighten up the car. I did have a strut tower brace and didnt notice anything from it and talked to quite a few people and came to the conclusion that its more of an appearance mod than anything.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:23 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi
Good question. I look at the photo on BMR's web site that shows the factory part next to the aftermaket one. I actually thought the factory part looked stronger. Of course it is not powdercoated bright red. I suppose if you have everything else already, you may as well get one, but if you are planning mods, there must be better bang for your bucks.

Also, why do companies offer so many different colors for parts that are either bolted or welded under the car. I can see wanting specific colors for engine compartment parts or interior parts, but do you really care what color you subframe connectors are?

The shock tower brace question is an interesting one. Many people claim real improvements and many don't. I have a buddy with a 2001 SS (t tops) and I drove the car before and after a Hotchkis brace. I felt it did make a small but noticable difference. I have not put one on my Z28 yet, but I plan to do so shortly.

JA
Old 04-16-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket tunnel brace. If your heart is set on replacing the stock part then just get yourself a driveshaft loop (like the Lakewood or LG) since most of them bolt in place of the tunnel brace anyway.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

fulton, good point never thought about the loop...

Quick Reply: Tunnel Brace any point to it..