Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pads to use with brembo OEM blanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pads to use with brembo OEM blanks

tried searching, but im curious to know what the best pads are to use with the brembo rotors? i heard the hawks are one of the best, however, should i go with the hps(composite) or hpc(ceramic) pads?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the pads are going to know the difference as far as what rotor they are pressing against.

I hear the HPS are stronger than stock, are fairly quiet and only dust a little. A lot of people like them. Don't expect to have race quality brakes, though.

I've never heard of the HPC. Is that the right name?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

I hear the hawk pads tend to not last very long. I went with the Wagners from O'Reilly, and they have some sort of Thermal Anti Squeal on them.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

the HPC are the hawk Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, im just wondering if i should go with the ceramic or composite pads
Old 04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
I hear the hawk pads tend to not last very long.
Which of the 10 or so Hawk compounds did you hear that about? Was it the HPS?
Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
the HPC are the hawk Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, im just wondering if i should go with the ceramic or composite pads
I've looked all over their site and can't find a mention of the Ceramic pads.
www.hawkperformance.com

My guess is that they are more in line with the stock pads and a notch below the HPS. Here it how the Hawk pads rank in performance:
HP SuperDuty (which uses ceramic materials)
HPS
HP Plus
Blacks
DR97
Blue 9012
MT4
HT10
HT14
HT15

So maybe the HP Superduty are the ones you are refering to? Who is offering them? Any websites you can give?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

It wasn't the HPS's. Those were the better ones.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

I have VGX pads and I am happy with them...nice and quiet, stop good, and no dust. I can't speak for longevity as this is my first set of VGX pads.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Who makes VGX?

How do they compare to stock?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

the ceramic hawk pads are sold at tirerack.com
Old 04-18-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Don't remember who makes them, but they work much much better than stock! Summit sells them, I dunno if any of the sponsors carry them?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

If you want to absolutely minimize dust and noise, go with the ceramics.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Which of the 10 or so Hawk compounds did you hear that about? Was it the HPS?

I've looked all over their site and can't find a mention of the Ceramic pads.
www.hawkperformance.com

My guess is that they are more in line with the stock pads and a notch below the HPS. Here it how the Hawk pads rank in performance:
HP SuperDuty (which uses ceramic materials)
HPS
HP Plus
Blacks
DR97
Blue 9012
MT4
HT10
HT14
HT15

So maybe the HP Superduty are the ones you are refering to? Who is offering them? Any websites you can give?
How about checking the front page? Click this photo on the front page to go to this link: http://www.hawkperformance.com/2004%...%20Ceramic.pdf

Old 04-18-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I hear the HPS are stronger than stock, are fairly quiet and only dust a little. A lot of people like them. Don't expect to have race quality brakes, though.

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
I hear the hawk pads tend to not last very long. I went with the Wagners from O'Reilly, and they have some sort of Thermal Anti Squeal on them.

Ok. Since there seems to be some second hand (or third, etc) information here, I'll try to give my experience so you will have first hand information (and to clarify).

The HPS have a much higher initial bite and generally feel much better than a stock pad. They are more resistant to fade as well (they are not full race pads though and track days/really hard use can produce fade). They will handle higher brake temps than stock pads, but are not a full race pad. This is good since they work cold (as do some of the new race pad compounds these days) and warm/hot. They are generally quiet, but can make noise (squeaking) sometimes (a few hard stops will usually quiet them right down again). Dust is about the same as a stock pad (similar, a little more or less). Wear is good. We put them on a Mustang GT about a year or so ago and they are wearing well (it's daily driven) and work great. So, the wear seems reasonable (unless you beat on them). The problem with upgraded brakes is that they can be so much fun to use, that you'll find yourself braking harder and that will wear the pads more quickly (but life is still good). So, I'd recommend them for a street car.

HP+ seem to have less initial bite when cold and a flat torque curve until they get much warmer, then they gain some bite. They are (in my opinion) not real good cold (for street, though I've run through a whole set on the street) and not terribly good hot. So, they are a good pad that tries to be everything to everyone and they are not a street pad, and they are not equal to some of the race compound pads I've run either (that's what blacks/blues are for, but they can be hard on rotors). For moderate use or "easy" lapping days (or using brake ducts), they may work well, but I've found pads I like better. And, the HP+ make much more dust, lots of dust, and wear rotors. When the pads wear out, the rotors will be junk as well. I replace rotors and pads as a set.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

im gonna go with the ceramic hawk pads from tirerack, along with the brembo oem blanks as my new rotors, i should be ordering them this weekend and i should have them put on the first weekend in may when im home from school for the summer, ill be sure and let you all know how they work out

Quick Reply: pads to use with brembo OEM blanks