Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LT1 handling in dire need of help.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 handling in dire need of help.

I have a 1994 Pontiac Trans Am with 132K miles on it. The engine runs like a champ and the transmission still drives like the day it rolled off the lot. Rear is solid too, no noise. The first problem I had with the car is a horrendous vibration at anything about 85mph. I purchased a Denny's Aluminum HD Driveshaft. That helped. The car started shifting hard and the clutch started slipping. I threw an SLP Billet Steel Flywheel and Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch in there. My end goal here is to get a high MPH cruiser. I really couldn't care about quarter mile or anything. That's why I am lightening the drivetrain. Less reciprocating mass. However at anything around 110+ there is this pretty good vibration, partially in the front, partially in the back. I got an alignment and four wheel balance recently. I know my front rotors are very warped. Is it possible that the rotors are so warped that they cause the car to vibrate? I also noted that most of the bushings on the car are shot (ie dryrotted, loose, etc.) The shocks may be very old as well as the springs. I want to go through them but want to know what the best choices for me to make are. I want the car to ride smooth (like my buddy has a 2000 Camaro SS and the thing rides like a cloud even at 150) but I want to get in to a bit of performance handling. I know there is a way to get the vibrations and harsh ride out of this car, I just need a little guidance. If any one could shed some light on which direction I should begin, considering all the prior information given (ie 132K miles on the car, don't care about quarter mile performance). Thank you for taking your time to read this, I really apreciate it.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*I* would look into Koni SA shocks and Moog and GM bushings all around. That would make a drastic improvement in handling and ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 handling in dire need of help.