Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pinion angle....2 degree's difference, or set to negative 2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion angle....2 degree's difference, or set to negative 2?

Ok, the search option is down currently...really quick, do I set it at minus 2, or 2 degree's difference?

Another question, the spohn gage we get with it, right now my drive shaft is 6 degrees to the right of zero, is that negative 6?

so, should I set my pinion angle at plus 4, leaving negative 2?

Or should I set it at either 4 or 8 to the right of zero, this of course depends on whether to the right of zero is positive or negative??

thanks, Scott
Old 05-08-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

for what it's worth, the directions sure make it seem like I take the ds angle, and subtract the TA angle, and I want it to come out to negative 2

So in my case, I'm 6 to the right of zero, if that is really negative, then I want to set my TA 4 to the right of zero, leaving a negative 2, but a difference of 10 degrees.

If that side is positive, then I want to set it to 8 degrees to the right of zero, leaving a negative 2, and a difference of 2.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Negative would be to the left of zero, anyways my DS was -6 and my yoke was -4 leaving me with a -2 angle is how i did mine.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

uh oh, negative is left of Zero??

I assumed it was to the right....my DS was showing 3 degree's right of zero, and I put my TA about 4.5 degrees right of zero.

If you're right, I need to get back out there.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
uh oh, negative is left of Zero??

I assumed it was to the right....my DS was showing 3 degree's right of zero, and I put my TA about 4.5 degrees right of zero.

If you're right, I need to get back out there.

Well the angle finder that sphoon sends with the arm does not have - or + on it but common sense makes me think - is left of 0? and it seems to feel right where it's set so...........
Old 05-08-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

If your DS is 8* to the right on angle finder, your TA/pinion should be 6* to the right giving it a -2* down angle from the DS. Definately don't go by the left of zero/ right of zero thing, make it 2* difference from each other. your 1rst scenario will cause huge vibration problems. Your second post is correct. BTW, those angle finders sent out with TA's suck. I finally just bought a digital one.

Last edited by DanZ28; 05-08-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DanZ28
If your DS is 8* to the right on angle finder, your TA/pinion should be 6* to the right giving it a -2* down angle from the DS. Definately don't go by the left of zero/ right of zero thing, make it 2* difference from each other. your 1rst scenario will cause huge vibration problems. Your second post is correct. BTW, those angle finders sent out with TA's suck. I finally just bought a digital one.

So if i had 6* to the left of 0 on the shaft and 4* left of 0 on the pinion i would have -2* right? or no? Your post kinda confused me because you said don't go by the left/right thing of zero?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, I was so wrapped up in finishing the install of my heads and cam I never went back and wrapped this up....

right now, My DS is about 3 degrees to the right of zero, so I'll go back and change my Ta to be about 1.5 degrees to the right of zero!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAMSS30
So if i had 6* to the left of 0 on the shaft and 4* left of 0 on the pinion i would have -2* right? or no? Your post kinda confused me because you said don't go by the left/right thing of zero?
It matters on what side of the car you look at the protractor from. If you put it on the DS looking at it from the drivers side it will be to the right of zero, if from the passenger side it will read to the left of zero. I'm saying it does not matter which side of zero you read it from as long as your pinion is -2* difference from your DS.

So, as far as the protractor goes, don't look at it like negative numbers to the left of zero and positive numbers to the right. Just look at it as degree's past zero either way because it depends on what direction your reading the angle from. Hope that all made sense .

Dan
Old 05-09-2005, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
damn, I was so wrapped up in finishing the install of my heads and cam I never went back and wrapped this up....

right now, My DS is about 3 degrees to the right of zero, so I'll go back and change my Ta to be about 1.5 degrees to the right of zero!
That's correct, but remember to re-measure your DS again because it's angle changes as you adjust the TA, so you have to go back and forth measuring alot between the two. Also, try measuring off the pinion, it might be a little more accurate than the TA..

Dan
Old 05-09-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

DanZ28, great info, thanks for your help!

Scott
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

No problem Scott!

Dan
Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

It helps to think this thing through... Your goal is to make it so that there is no bind under hard acceleration... When you take off hard, the axle torques back (pinion goes up) If it were set to 0, the suspension would flex say, positive 2* and you would have some bind and be more likely to break something since this is under hard acceleration. By setting 2* negative, when you get on it hard, it flexes up to 0* so that way, normal driving is off by 2* (which wont hurt it, since its easy driving) and hard driving is 0* which will save parts (hopefully).

So for your adjustment purposes just make it so that the pinion is kinked down 2*... If you can't do the math... just adjust it so that both angles are the same, then figure out which way to turn the adjuster to make the pinion point down and do that until there is a difference of 2!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Dan where did you find a digital gauge at?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Default Simplified

Here's the way I looked at it which made more sense to me...I also confirmed this thinking with the engineers at Spohn. Forget left or right of zero...just think numbers. My driveshaft is at at a 1 degree downward angle from the transmission to the pinion. My pinion is 2.5 degrees pointing down toward the ground. 1-2.5=-1.5 pinion angle. Driveshaft and pinion form a low angled V.