Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

OK, now where should I look?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:30 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default OK, now where should I look?

In a nutshell, I have been having a problem with a loud banging noise on hard acceleration. The noise is coming from the left-rear every time. Checked the Y-pipe, don't think that's it. It's really not very close to the floorboard, and from what I understand, it usually bangs a little closer to under the console area. Installed an ES tranny mount....still no dice. I crawled under the rear of the car and made sure everything was tight and looked OK. I couldn't find any glaring problems.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should go from here? I'm also getting a sort-of high pitched whine accompanied by a slight rattle in the same area (left-rear) of the car when I let off the gas at exactly 55mph in 5th. I can't get it to make the sound in any other gear at any other speed. Don't know if the two are somehow related, but thought I'd throw that in there if its any help.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Since you already replaced the Trans Mount, the only thing I can think of now would be the Tourque Arm. Inspect it for damage and make sure all the bolts are there and tight (well...properly tourqued).

After that, just start checking everything...
* Panhard Rod
* Lower Control Arm
* Sway Bar (especially inspect the end-links)

If all else looks fine, inspect the drive shaft. Look for any damage (dents/rubbing) and make sure the weight is still there (although, if the weight was missing, you'd get vibration increasing with speed).

You said you checked the Y-Pipe, did you check the rest of the exhaust to make sure its all still mounted properly on the hangers?

BTW, something in my rear suspension is rattling too, but it happens over bumps (crappy roads around here) and not under acceleration. I dont know what it is though since i've either been too busy with other stuff or its been raing every weekend for the past month or so.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-16-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket Torque Arm? check the mount on the rear end as some hit the floor of the car.
It could be internal in the rear end?
Or the springs are they cut,no rubber piece,installed right?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:15 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, stock torque arm, stock springs. I made a cursory check of the rear-end area and checked to be sure everything was tight, but maybe I need to make a more thorough inspection.

When it bangs, it bangs one time and that's it. No clunking or thudding, just one loud BANG when I get on it.

Quick Reply: OK, now where should I look?