Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Did a search and not alot on rear spring seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 10:41 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did a search and not alot on rear spring seats

I`v removed alot of weight from the car and alot from the rear. The car is sitting high now. I need to know if removing the rear spring seats is a job I can do myself without a spring compressor or do I need one. I see on my search on the fourm I need 5/8 inch heater or coolant hose to wrap around the spring after removing the seats. I was also woundering how much of a drop this mod will produce. I aslo heard this will save about 4 lbs. removing them . Let me know whats up with this mod. If all else fails I`m going to Mad Man racing and have him order me some custom bent springs for my street ride. Let me know fellas.
Later Al
Old 05-30-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just lift the car, put jack stands under the body. Lower the axle almost to the bottom, unbolt the shocks from the axle (I then turn them 90 degrees so the bolt won't catch anywhere), lower the axle a little more (be careful not to stretch your brake lines and pull the springs and isolators out of the car. Add your heater hose, install them, jack the axle up, reconnect the shocks and you're done. Just remember not to lift the car to the upper limit of your jack (if you lift by the axle), because you won't be able to lift it high enough to get it off the stands once you remove the isolators (something I learned years ago, the hard way).
Old 05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by al
I was also woundering how much of a drop this mod will produce. I also heard this will save about 4 lbs. removing them
Later Al
Your not going to save any weight. They are rubber donuts, basically. There are 2 different thicknesses, but they tend to lower 3/4" or so. Their function is to reduce vibrations from entering the chassis. The hose gets the job done just fine. Wrap the upper coil only and mayby use WD40 to help them slide on.