Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone sell a 1" drop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can not believe how retarded I am. The friend in question now has a 2002 z28 modded to hell, but he had a different car before that. I must be thinking of his last car which i can not remember at the moment, but it definately had rear coil over type shocks in the rear where the spacers were. No wonder you were thijnking i was crazy. I am. Wow i fee like a moron. Sorry for the confusion. The wort part is that I had been planning on doing this myself soon, and now I realize I cant.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

No sweat, it can still be done like I was explaining. There's just a few details I haven't ironed out. I don't need to do it myself, but I'm still interested.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I've used these with great success.

http://gmocart2.gmotion.com/store/me...ing_suspension
Jason, I just bought some of these after seeing this post (a set from Pep Boys . I was wondering though, how were you able to squeeze them into the space between the coils? I've jacked the front off the ground, but that doesn't seem like enough to pop one of those suckers in Also, the box they came in stated to use 4 per spring spaced evenly across from each other, did you do that too?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you say the front? I was only recommending them for the rear springs. The stock rear springs have a coil spacing of 1 1/2". The link I provided was for the 1 1/2" spacers. So if you jack the rear up and let the suspension hang, they should go in easily.

Did you get the smaller 1 1/2" spacers?
Are you wanting them for the front or rear?
If the rear, are they stock springs or an aftermarket one?
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awwwww, yeah, they're for the fronts on a set of DMS springs. I had a feeling this was gonna be the case. I'm not sure on the size of the spacers but they are for front coils.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Spacers are not for a specific spring. The package might say front coils, but disregard that. It's all about matching the coil gap to the spacer. Most front springs use a tighter coil due to having more coils in all. I'm not familiar with what the DMS coils look like, but the basics of coil spring theory still apply.

First, is there even room to fit a spacer? Sometimes the dust boot will be in the way at the top and the shock might be in the way at the bottom. Assuming there is room, the fronts also have the problem of not being able to fully extend with the weight removed. They are already partially compressed when they are assembled.

I can still help with the fronts as long as there is physical room for the spacers without rubbing or hitting anything. First jack up the car to let the front tires drop. measure the gap between the coils. The DMS is a progressive rate, I believe, so there will be 2 different sized gaps.

If you want increased ride height without a rate increase, you want to put a spacer in the tighter coils. If you want increased ride height WITH a rate increase, you want to place a spacer in the larger coils. The problem here is that you may not be able to find a spacer small enough. You want one slightly taller (1 or 2 mm) than the coil gap so that you can wedge it in there and it not move. You may have to get some rubber spacers like this:
http://gmocart2.gmotion.com/store/me...ing_suspension
and trim the size down some just to fit.

Like I said, the front is a bit trickier. That's why I went with the GC adjusters up front to make things easier and to get just the ride height I wanted. So I don't have any experience with spacing the front coils, just the rears.

If all this sounds too complicated, I remembered that BMR makes a spacer to move the lower shock mount up. It creates a 1/2" ride height increase. They are the square ones on the right.

They run $33pr. and require longer bolts. I don't know if bolts are included or not.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm
Old 06-06-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was given that advice a couple months back regarding the bmr spacers (probably from you). Either way, thanks for your time and the advice :thumbsup: I will just order them bmr spacers.

Quick Reply: Anyone sell a 1" drop?