Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper Rebuild Kit NEED HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caliper Rebuild Kit NEED HELP!!!!

I just put on some iradispeed rotors and b/c my car has 107k I figured I would rebuild my calipers. So I go to a chevy dealer and get the kit but the front caliper rebuild only comes with one piston boot and I need two b/c the caliper has two pistons. I don't understand and either does the guy at the dealer who has been really helping me out. He says he can't find anything and can just put two kits together and give me a deal. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Does this sound normal? I need your help, thanks!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

it only comes with one cuz the rear's only need one.....i went through the same thing, then i ripped the boots trying to put them on.....i ended up getting the rebuilt calipers for 27 bucks each at a local parts store, while each rebuild kit was close to 15 bucks from the dealer...
Old 06-10-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TORQ
So I go to a chevy dealer and get the kit but the front caliper rebuild only comes with one piston boot and I need two b/c the caliper has two pistons.

Originally Posted by jdustu
it only comes with one cuz the rear's only need one

Um....I think you missed something....

Yes, as I remember, the front Camaro kit comes "per piston" (2 kits for one caliper) but the Corvette kits come in pairs??? However, you can't use the Corvette kit on the Camaro because the Corvette has 40mm pistons and the Camaro has 44mm pistons (the kit will not fit). It's "normal", but it makes little sense to me. That's just how GM does it.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

just my thought, seeing as how it comes with everything to do the entire caliper except the second piston seal...i agree, doesn't make much sense, being that the fronts usually need more attention anyways....i didn't know the vette came with both...
Old 06-10-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the rear piston is a different size, but I don't know the size off the top of my head. I believe it will be a different kit.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
I believe the rear piston is a different size, but I don't know the size off the top of my head. I believe it will be a different kit.
that would be interesting, i thought they were the same....if that's the case then it's really ridiculous that only one boot comes per front kit.....
Old 06-11-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

yea when I get around to it im just gona do the C5 upgrade.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

All I know is that you have to buy two kits to do the fronts. Would it have made a bit more sense to include two seals? Yeah, I think so, but then again you never know what those extra bolts you have lying around can be used for, right?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your right Fulton, those extra bolts are retarded. Well I ended up buying two kits for the front as well as new slider boots. It ended up costing about $70 for the front and $35 for the rear (abit expensive but worth it). I also put on new eradispeed rotors, raybestas pads, Z-rated brake fluid, and painted the calipers red (I wanted to buy stainless steel lines but I figured I spent enough for now). It looks amazing and works even better. I am really happy how everything turned out. My brakes feel a bit spongy but I figure I just need to drive alittle bit then bleed the brakes again and everything should firm up. Does this sound right?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Kick it all and install Stainless Steel Brake Company 3 or 4 piston calipers. I did the 3-piston calipers and I'm not sorry ... What a difference! Do it!

Really ...