Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HD bilstein shocks and energy suspension pushings package for 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HD bilstein shocks and energy suspension pushings package for 2000 Z28

where can i get heavy duty bilstein shocks and energy suspension polyurethane pushings complete set for my 2000 M6 LS1 camaro? for how much?

by the way are the SLP bilstein shocks --> heavy duty shocks? i mean are they revalved?

thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

You can buy them about anywhere.

SLP front's are slightly revalved vs. HD's. Up a bit on front rebound, but also down a bit on front compression which is odd. SLP also does not touch the rear shocks at all, they are standard 4th gen HD's.

Then there are what are known as "Revalves" which are HD's that are tweaked to be (generally) stiffer for a few reasons. Either to better control the car and/or lowering springs, but also make the response rate of the car much quicker as well. Revalves are done case-by-case unlike the SLP shocks that are one size fits all.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much does it cost for revalved shocks.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abdullah~ HD is just a designator, but they are no different from any other, except the sports..... which are shorter and that have a slightly different valving. Try Shox.com for pricing.

Sam~ "Up a bit on front rebound, but also down a bit on front compression which is odd." No, thats not odd. The increase in rebound is to controll a higher rate spring and it is also reduced in compression as not to make it too stiff.

hpjunky~ Re-valving Bilstein will run you about $50.00 each.... unless you live in the San Diego area and can find one of their old tech that has gone out on his own. They work for beer.....
Old 07-11-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm also interested in the cost and which sponsor.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

chicane,

Bilstein does not make a sport shock for the 4th gen car, which is why we Revalve them.

As for the valving being odd, it most certainly is becaue HD's don't ride badly in the normal state. Taking compression away is not necessary and we do not do it to any of our Revalves. The softer compression and greater rebound makes it more likely the car will "pack down" since the shock will more easily compress but not extend as easily. With more rate you want more rebound to control the spring's extension, I agree. I disagree you want less compression damping.

Revalving is more than $50 now a days. But if you'd like to have Bilstein work you old shocks, you can. However, unless you know exactly what you are doing that's not wise. Similar to sending a cam in for regrinding but not having any idea what you want for the spec. Same thing here, which is why I do set of 4 shocks already built (valving determined by a long conversation between us). You get new shocks, valved for the spring rate/use of the car, done by Bilstein's shop but speced by me.... very common, lots of folks with 4th gens have them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-12-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam...

I know they dont build Sports for 4th Gen. Implacation is my bad for not paying attention to YMM.

Compression or rebound, it is still up to the spring rate, motion ratio involved, weight of chassis and other suspension related kinematics. I myself am used to dealing with rates in the 700+ range (coil and non-coil over, even for street chassis).... but most, if not all springs that are offered for the 4th Gen are progressive rate. Linear requirements are much different, not to mention that you most likely only have one of the digressive valving designs to play with as well.

I am very familiar with Bilstein.... I have been doing developement with them since the early 90's, specifically the Y-body (to include re-placeable prom FX3), early F-body and SCORE Trophy Truck (for PPI.) But yeah, its nice to give ole Mr. Hindorf a call and just have him do all of the work.....unless you know the guys doing the actual work.

And BTW its $50.00/ea from Bilstein directly.

Last edited by chicane; 07-18-2005 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: HD bilstein shocks and energy suspension pushings package for 2000 Z28