Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1LE springs w/ Coil Overs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1LE springs w/ Coil Overs?

Ok, its my understanding the 99 SS came with 1LE springs, which according to this chart http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html has a better spring rate then most of the after market springs available. My question is, is there any way to retain the 1LE spring but use them on a coil over shock so I can adjust the ride height? I want to be able to go about 1 - 1.5 inch drop for open track and auto-x, but be able to bring it back to stock when needed. If I can do this, what coil over shocks can I buy that don't come with springs? Also will I need to use relcoation brackets as well or will that just improve the suspension geometry? In essence, I really just want to buy four shocks, is this possible?

Also I don't want to do the bilsteins in front and the heater hose in the rear, I need the adjustability but want to retain the 1LE spring rates.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Doesn't work that way. Coil overs (with little exception) use race springs, not the big stock sized springs. Kits like a Ground Control that we use come with 4 springs as part of the total cost, and we determine the rates you want.

Also dropping and raising the car anytime isn't quite that simple. You could, but everytime you move the height you need to realign the car.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oops! So does that mean I won't be able to bounce the front end off the ground like a low rider too? j/k.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll be looking at a full kit then.