Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Frozen rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frozen rotors

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ors&perfCode=P

Has anyone tried out these rotors? Are they any good?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=83

Frozen Brake Rotors: Cryogenics 101

Deep cryogenic treating is a one-time, homogenous process that permanently and dramatically improves the performance and useful life of metals in everything from brake rotors and performance engines to machine tools and gun barrels. Using a proprietary computer-controlled process, the metal is cooled slowly to deep cryogenic temperatures (-300°F), and slowly returned to room temperature, then heat-tempered as the final step. Computer technology allows the regulation of temperatures to 1 degree, accurately manipulating the Cryo treatment in accordance with the mass of the part it is being applied to.

Although not apparent to the naked eye, the improvements to the metal are significant. Deep cryogenic processing creates dramatic increases in abrasive wear resistance and durability. The increases in tensile strength, toughness and stability couple with the release of internal residual stresses.

How the Process Works

Deep cryogenic processing permanently refines the grain structure of metals at the atomic level. This creates metallurgically improved and stabilized rotors that have a more dense, smoother structure. As a result, you reduce heat and wear on brake rotors and pads.

Applications of Cryogenic Processing

Brake rotors, performance engines, transmissions, gun barrels, cutting and machine tools, stabilizing ferrous and non-ferrous metals.

Last edited by Andros; 07-29-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:34 AM
roy
TECH Resident

My opinion still a big waste of money . No one has shown conclusive evidence that it works for brake rotors.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

So someone like me here has to test these puppies out huh? How many miles do the brembo oem last?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm not sure about brake rotors, but i had one of my rc nitro engines cryo-frozen.. On a regualer motor i was only getting about 3 gallons through them(about 3months of competitive racing) before i had to rebuild it.. Now I'm on my 5th gallon with the motor I had frozen & have yet to rebuild it, still has a ton of compression & running strong.. Not to mention the process is inexpensive to have done.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2005, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

NASCAR uses them I think
Old 07-30-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've even heard of people having golf ***** done & getting like 10-20 extra yards after having this done... Which I will be testing out this theory today at 2:15 i might add!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MM98
Well I'm not sure about brake rotors, but i had one of my rc nitro engines cryo-frozen.. On a regualer motor i was only getting about 3 gallons through them(about 3months of competitive racing) before i had to rebuild it.. Now I'm on my 5th gallon with the motor I had frozen & have yet to rebuild it, still has a ton of compression & running strong.. Not to mention the process is inexpensive to have done.

-Mike
inexpensive on an RC car maybe. that is what i want done to the next motor i will build. it is gonna be pricey, but for the most part it should be worth it. if it is good enough for F1 racing, and NASCAR then it is good enough for me
Old 07-30-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think, well here anyways, the price is per pound.. Which was like a dollar or so... Not sure at other places though
Old 07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

I wanted to have the Motor dun that way like Top Fuels do
Old 07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andros
So someone like me here has to test these puppies out huh? How many miles do the brembo oem last?
check this out:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=98
Old 07-30-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you really have to shut me down like that

I'll be getting the brembos than
Old 07-31-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andros
Did you really have to shut me down like that

I'll be getting the brembos than
Sorry, didn't want to give you or anybody else on the forum the impression of shutting down, however the information from site seem pretty important and relevant.

While there are great achievements in materials science and engineering, one must note that even though these brake rotors initially have a much stronger molecular bond due to the lower temp forcing them to have much less molecular movement, brakes can and will generate much higher temperatures, thus redistribute the molecules in a fashion similar to brakes that weren't cryoed.

If I can find the website, I'd like to post it here, because the person with drilled rotors was tired of all of the stress risers, so he cryoed them. After the same duty cycle, the stress risers revealed nearly the same characteristics as the non-cryoed ones (the drilled rotors at least came in handy for this purpose). He even had them analysed though an electron microscope and there was no difference at all.