Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Yank crossmember won't fit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Unhappy Yank crossmember won't fit!

Well, I've been wrestling with this thing all day and have nothing but a sore neck and back, and no progress. The problem is the hole for the transmission mount is too far back on the cross member. So this prevents the 4 mounting holes on the chasis from lining up correctly. Its not even close, I tried losening the trans mount to give me a little more leeway, but no luck. I can see it pretty clearly when I match it up with the stock crossmember, the difference in location.

So now I'm kind of stuck. Can't call Yank until Monday. Not sure a replacement would be any better regardless since it looks like it was designed that way. Can't put it back to stock since I had to cut that bolt on the bottom of the stock mount to remove it from the trans, since there wasn't enough clearance in the tunnel with the torque arm there. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of removing the T/A from the axle, but I kinda knew in the back of my head I'd be screwed if the x-member didn't fit. So I'd need to order a new mount from the dealership to even get it back together. I'm throwing in the towel for today.

Did anyone with the yank piece have a similar experience? Does the BMR fit any better? Any ideas how to make this thing fit? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've spoken to 1 other guy who had no problems with his Yank. My BMR fits good. BUT...

Looks are deceiving when you're under there... the trans drops down a significant amount. I though there was NO way mine was going to fit back up... but once i put a jack under the back of the trans and started to lift it back, everything started to line up.

Also, there are 6 dozen different ways of doing this... put the bushing in the bracket, slide it over the torque arm... put the bushing on the torque arm, put the crossmember up and put on the bracket... take the t/a off and put in the crossmember, then put in the t/a... you get the idea... If you do it enough times, you'll figure out the easiest way.
Furthermore... its possible that you have the wrong one... if you have an M6, you may have the auto crossmember or vice versa
Old 07-30-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I double checked the P/N that was on the sticker with the one on their website, and it matches up. Pictures look about the same too, but I'll ask when I talk to Yank.

As far as the install, I was playing around with jacking up the trans to many different heights, and I just couldn't get it to line up. I didn't even mess with trying to put the T/A in the bracket yet, I was trying to see if I could fit the crossmember on first. Just seems that the darn hole they drill for the trans mount is too far backwards. If it was up about a 1/2" more then it might fit. There's not much room to enlarge it. Alternatively I could try to elongate the holes for the chasis mount and move that up, though that might affect the T/A bracket fitament. Plus I don't want to hack it up just yet, otherwise then I've got no shot at getting a refund or exchange. Well, we'll see what happens, thanks for the advice though!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are two bolts that hold the trans mount to the tranny. you might losen those, put the nut on the stud just enough to hold the crossmember upand use the jack again and see if that doesnt help. I dont think the factory rubber mount will go on backwards, but check anyway... the poly ones i think are symmetrical... just another though...
Old 07-31-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I got back under it again today and played around with the fit. I decided to forget about the trans mount for a second, and just see how the piece would fit without that problem, so I took the stud screw out of the mount. I bolted the piece to the chasis attempting to use the 1/2" spacers they give you. Not sure if you're supposed to use them or not. Well, the holes on one of the spacers weren't spaced right, and I couldn't get the second bolt through on that side. So if I was to use it I'd have to drill it out a bit. But, I test fitted where the torque arm would be, and using the spacers it'd be far too low. It would hit the d/s loop, and the front of the T/A would be alot lower than on the stock mounting point at the tailshaft.

So I figure I'll try bolting it up without the spacers. At least I was finally able to get all 4 bolts in. The torque arm location looks to be about spot on now. But now doing that, the transmission is sitting way too high, and the driver's side y pipe is pretty much snug against the floorpan, and the trans is just about hitting the top of the tunnel. So that won't work either.

And regardless, in either case the hole for the trans mount stud is still pretty far off.

Now seeing that there's no chance of it fitting, I put it next to the stock piece. Taking some measurements, I can kind of see why it won't fit. On the stock piece, the driver's side mounting point is approx 1" above the trans mount point. On the Yank, it is on the same plane as the trans mount. The passenger's side mount on the stock piece is 5" higher, on the Yank its 4". So to fit as the stock unit does, I'd need 1" spacers. But then the T/A mount would still be too low.

This picture here of the Yank piece kind of illustrates the problem:

I know I've read of a few people on here using the Yank piece with success, so I'm not sure why it won't fit my car. Thought maybe they sent the wrong one, but the invoice and number on the part both indicate YC-101, for a 6 speed car. I read they recently redesigned it, so maybe it was changed. I guess I'm going to try to return it and get my money back. I'm not going to bash Yank, but I just don't see how this is going to work on my car.

I'll post up some pics of the Yank vs. the stock in a little bit to better explain.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some quick pics I snapped comparing the 2 x members:

What I attempted in the last picture is to place the stock member in front of the yank, and line up the chasis mounting points. What you can see is the transmission mount hole on the yank is a good bit higher - the root of my fitament problems (along with the hole being too far back too).

EDIT: Don't know why they're not showing, but here's the direct link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/594905/4

Last edited by NHRATA01; 07-31-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I've got an update!

I was able to speak with a gentleman from Yank's crossmember group (different phone number than the 'verter guys), who was extremely kind and helpful.

The root of the problem is the piece is designed around the stock tranmission mout, where the stud is set back a little bit farther than the aftermarket poly mounts. The aftermarket mounts tend to be a little bit taller, so the trans sits up a bit higher on them too. So if I switch back to the stock mount, the crossmember should be able to fit.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

any progress?