Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrading to C5 rear calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to C5 rear calipers?

I'll be putting on 18" Z06 wheels all around soon, and i'm worried the rotors may look to small once i did.

I'm thinking of upgrading my front calipers to C5's so I can run a 13" rotor. but i hardly ever see anyone talking about upgrading the rear disc and calipers to C5's also.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4105&
its some good info in that thread.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i havent heard of people upgrading the back as much.I was thinking if i did the c5 upgrade to put front brakes on all four corners.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ashzero
I'll be putting on 18" Z06 wheels all around soon, and i'm worried the rotors may look to small once i did.

I'm thinking of upgrading my front calipers to C5's so I can run a 13" rotor. but i hardly ever see anyone talking about upgrading the rear disc and calipers to C5's also.
I guess I shoulda read the post more.
The C5 uses the same size rear rotor as what you have now, so you wont really see any gain there besides eye candy.

You dont have to use the C5 caliper in order to run 13 inchrotors, your stock calipers will fit the conversion brackets. Nobody really upgrades the rear brakes because its not really needed as much as the fronts.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
You dont have to use the C5 caliper in order to run 13 inchrotors, your stock calipers will fit the conversion brackets. Nobody really upgrades the rear brakes because its not really needed as much as the fronts.

With the trackbrackets kit, you must use the C5 calipers, the kit was not designed to use the stock calipers or PAB.

As for running 4 sets of front calipers, you'll have a hard time getting the bias adjusted properly. You will wind up with too much rear brake bias (activity?) and will probably never get the brakes balanced/working correctly (you may band aid it with a few proportioning valves, but I'd not do it).
Old 08-20-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ah yes, eye candy is not always good for you nor anybody else. As a matter of fact, very bad when it comes to brake balance.

Read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...erformance.htm

and this:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...ing_valves.htm
Old 08-20-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trackbird
With the trackbrackets kit, you must use the C5 calipers, the kit was not designed to use the stock calipers or PAB.

As for running 4 sets of front calipers, you'll have a hard time getting the bias adjusted properly. You will wind up with too much rear brake bias (activity?) and will probably never get the brakes balanced/working correctly (you may band aid it with a few proportioning valves, but I'd not do it).
What are the differences in the caliper and PAB to make it not fit?