Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop on right turns

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:56 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel hop on right turns

Howdy all,

A few months ago I noticed that in psuedo-sharp, right turns at low speed under average acceleration I experience what feels like the rear, driver-side wheel hopping. They are very short, quick hops, so it's almost like a chatter of sorts. The suspension is bone stock at 65k miles except for aftermarket LCAs (see sig). As you can imagine, my shocks are annihilated at this point. Anyway, I've had the car up on jacks and took the rear wheels off and looked it over pretty well. I didn't find anything. I had drag radials put on the car recently, and when they were installed, I had the guys give it a good look while it was in the air, and they couldn't find anything bent/broken/missing.

I'm thinking that the shocks might be part of the issue as I get plenty of wheel hop on my 1-2 shift at the track. However, I was considering the possibility that this could be an issue where my differential has locked. I don't know if that's even possible, but it definitely sounds like what happens in turns with a locked diff. My friend has a Dodge Ram with a locked differential, and he experiences something pretty similar to what I'm having happen.

Can anyone shead some light on this subject? Can you either confirm or deny the possibilities that I have suggested above? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Launching!

this is TOTALLY your shocks. They might not "seem" worn or feel ok most of the time, but they are getting old. Eventually if u never change ur shocks, the springs will decompress too and then you wont be able to keep traction ha ha. But im sure you have a long way to go till that happens. But yes, upgrade those shocks and let us know the verdict!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:50 AM
11Second Club

Well, I put some Bilstein HDs in the back, and it only had a minor effect on the issue. Now, rather than feeling full-blown wheel hop, I feel a vibration. I still get quite a bit of hop on the 1-2 shift as well. I haven't yet taken off the torque arm to see if it's torn on the top, but I can't imagine how that would cause the wheel hop in the turns anyway. Anyone have suggestions or insights?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

The right-hand turn hop under acceleration is a common problem known as "peg-legging". The driveshaft torque tends to lift the right rear wheel anyway. Turning right transfers even more weight off the RR tire. That allows the wheel to spin, which releases the driveshaft torque, which drops the tire back on the ground, and the cycle starts over again.

Good shocks are important; I'm not claiming otherwise, but what you need to fix the peg-legging is a T2R differential. It's the racing version of the stock T2 and does a much better job of limiting the slip. It works a lot better in corners,lasts a lot longer than clutch type diffs, and is totally streetable.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I get that too on occasion. Have you tired LCA relocation brackets?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 PM
11Second Club

sgarnett: Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this and that there is a solution. I was afraid there was something wrong with my suspension. One question, though... I thought that if you were looking from the back of the car towards the front the drive shaft would spin clockwise... if that's true, wouldn't it plant the right, rear wheel?

BackinBlack02SS: I haven't tried LCA relocation brackets. I've always read that they are for lowered cars only. In addition, LCAs are supposed to control front-to-back wheel hop as opposed to up-and-down wheel hop. The shocks had a pretty significant effect on the issue, so I believe that points to up-and-down wheel hop being the culprit. sgarnett seems to corroborate that theory. Therefore, I don't think LCAs or LCA relocation brackets can help.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gauge
BackinBlack02SS: I haven't tried LCA relocation brackets. I've always read that they are for lowered cars only. In addition, LCAs are supposed to control front-to-back wheel hop as opposed to up-and-down wheel hop. The shocks had a pretty significant effect on the issue, so I believe that points to up-and-down wheel hop being the culprit. sgarnett seems to corroborate that theory. Therefore, I don't think LCAs or LCA relocation brackets can help.
Wheel hop is wheel hop. Not sure how there can be up and down and front to back? You stated previously that you had already replaced your shocks and it had a "minimal effect," so IMO the next logical area to look at would be the lower control arm area. Specifically the LCA relocation brackets, which are not only for lowered cars. This is a common misconception, but LCA relocation brackets can help traction and wheel hop on non lowered cars as well by helping to "push" the rear tires into the ground more. Most people think they are only for lowered cars because, well, lowering a car screws up your suspension geometry so much they are almost a must. If my new LCA's don't solve my issues then LCA relocation brackets will be going on next. My car is only lowered if you consider the factory Bilstein suspension to be lowered.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:10 AM
11Second Club

I'm going to see about having my differential looked at first. It is making a lot of noise, so I think it's either on its way out, or may have leaked a bunch of fluid (however, I don't see any signs of leaks). If that doesn't prove worthwhile, I may look at my LCAs. I think my first shot at those, however, will be to check my poly bushings to be sure they haven't deformed.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

im having the same problem! i cant figure it out either. I swapped shocks from stock to the bilstein HD's and it helped very little. I already have relocations brackets welded in. I had the car up on a lift and was bouncing the car and heard noise coming from the right side lca. ive already ordered new bushings to see if that fixes it. Im also installing a new rearend, so we'll see what happenes. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
11Second Club

Hey, Nino. That's my freakin' T/A hat, you know.

Anyway, I'll be very interested to hear what happens when you put in the 9". I'm going to get my fluid changed in the differential first. We'll see what happens.

When are you going to be back in Plano next? I'd like to see your car run sometime.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

you wish! ive been looking for it...my wife cant find it and she lost my shirt she did make up for it and get me a TA sweater though Ill be there in Feb, but the car wont be there. Not sure when im taking her back home. Ill let you know how it goes with the rearend. I tried changing the fluid to get a look at the gears and nothing.