Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SFC's, Three Point/Double Diamond VS no center connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SFC's, Three Point/Double Diamond VS no center connector

Ok someone give me a break down please.

How does a SFC with no center brace help stiffen the car?

Does one lose anything when using this type of SFC?

Is this type of SFC worth while?

I have been told the DD/Three Point Style is a very stiff design, and would be like hell to have in a daily driver.

Can anyone offer insight?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm.... no one has any insight?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Teching In

i have the slp's waiting to go in, i will give you feedback when i get them installed
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you do any kind of auto xing or road course theres really no point. Yes it will be stiffer than regular subframes but will cost more, weigh more and have less clearance. If its just a DD with perhaps some drag racing i would just get some regular boxed subframes but thats just my opinion.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

I have almost made up my mind to get the SLP subframes after doing some research. My '98 Trans AM is a bolt-on car and only driven every now and then on the street each week. I may take it to the track 3-4 times a year. I was going to use SLP's for the Subframes and BMR for everything else(STB, LCA's, etc.) I found out the BMR subframes had to be welded in on one end and I wanted to have the option of removing the Subframes from the car and I also feel that the design on the SLP's is better for stiffness and anti-flex.
I would also like to hear some opinions on using the Three-Point design as with the SLP's or Kenny Brown's DD's as opposed to the straight tubular/boxed designs. How do they compare and act on a street car? Do others feel that the SLP's are better than the tubular/boxed designs? Any help, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there are many bolt-in designs, you dont just have to go with SLP for that.

The members of the local Fbody club said that the Center Brace connectors are overkill for these cars, the SFC's with center braces are based off old foxbody designs that needed it, but for us fbody guys it would be entirely too stiff. They said that the boxed designs are even somewhat overkill, plus in the end most people will not think that the extra rigidity is worth the lost 3/4 - 1 inch ground clearance.

I have gone with UMI Tubular 2 pt SFC's
Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed the SLP bolt-on SFC's about two years ago on my T-Top T/A and noticed alot of stiffness at first, but you will get used to it. SLP may be overkill, but they do the job.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have SLP's on my car right now, no problems so far. My Y-pipe hangs lower than the subframes for what its worth.