Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR drive shaft safety loop and bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR drive shaft safety loop and bar

Just had the BMR driveshft loop installed today. BMR sfc and strut tower brace have been on the car for months. As soon as I backed the car out of the shop, I got this vibration or rubbing motion you can feel coming up thru the chassis. We (me and shop owner) looked under the car and we had plenty of clearence between the driveshaft and the loop. I agreed to leave the loop on for the time being, but its pretty irritating. Prior to putting this on, the car never squeaked or rattled, even before the sfc were put on it. Could this be a noise, vibration issue caused by the extra rigid, BMR safety loop? Maybe the weaker factory brace absorbed some of the extra vibration and cancelled it out? We disconneted the back of the driveshaft to slide the loop over it and into place; could the driveshaft be out of balance from the re-tighten of the shaft? The vibartion thing is kinda similar to what you feel when you put poly bushing on a car, instead of the factory rubber. Any body else experience this issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Launching!

mine did the same thing. make sure it isnt hitting the exhaust or torque arm.
a little bit of driveing and u will see rub marks if it is.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Take a look at the pics in my sig. The BMR loop can be seen in one of the photos. Does this look like yours. I had no problems with the install. Check the actual driveshaft to be sure they installed in correct. Maybe a balance weight or something was damaged when they dropped it for the loop install?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sound like the driveshaft is rubbing against the loop. Just double check it for rub marks. If you still have problem give me a call on Monday or email me and i'll try to help you diagnose the problem

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 08-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
Sound like the driveshaft is rubbing against the loop. Just double check it for rub marks. If you still have problem give me a call on Monday or email me and i'll try to help you diagnose the problem

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Thanks Lee for offering. Update: Today I took off a couple of hours from work early, and went to a muffler shop I've used a few times in the past. We get the car on the lift, and the muffler guy immediately noticed that the brace is rubbing against the top of the exhaust. I have JBA shorty headers, the cats are in the stock location, and the SLP Y-pipe, which is attached to the factory 3 inch center mount exhaust. The Y-pipe is whats rubbing on the brace. We study it for a couple of minutes, and my solution was to take the brace off. However, the muffler guy looks at it longer, then says if we cut a small pie shaped section of the Y-pipe out, then bend it, and weld the y-pipe back up, it should clear the brace, and every thing should work out OK. Thats what we did, and it worked great. Total time at the shop was 32 minutes. Car is tighter than a drum, and no more rubbing, vibrating, rattle.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Glad to hear you got it fixed

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Quick Reply: BMR drive shaft safety loop and bar