Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

if you have a big brake kit....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default if you have a big brake kit....

...could you inform me about the feel of the kit. by feel i mean does the pedal become softer and more touch sensitive. its something that has always bothered me about my car and if it means getting a big brake kit and new brake lines to solve it, i will. i am in desperate need of new brakes and i wanna know if i should begin allocating money into the big brake fund any feedback is very much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run stoptech rotors, hawk pads and SS brake lines and my brakes feel awesome. I can't imagine an actual brake kit (baer, brembo etc) giving me much more of a positive feel.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine it ....

Porsche 996TT brakes ... 4 piston Brembos, 13.5" rotors and Hawk black pads would freakin' stop the car at 3800lbs ...
Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCFormula
I run stoptech rotors, hawk pads and SS brake lines and my brakes feel awesome. I can't imagine an actual brake kit (baer, brembo etc) giving me much more of a positive feel.
i think it was the fact that i didnt change my brake lines. i bet that was my problem. i'm gonna do rotors, pads and lines and see if that does the trick. if not, looks like a big brake kit will be in line. thanks guys
Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

If you want bigger brakes and dont want to spend a ton. I would look into the LG C5 kit. Get there brackets, Brembo blanks, some good pads and new fluid. It will be a night and day difference. New and better pads and fluid will do the most for you.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a StopTech ST-40 kit, and the the pedal is stiff and doesn't fade easily, except when bedding in pads (green fade, but just about any new pads will do that). Like it a lot since braking has become a lot more consistent with each application.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Form what I understand, doesn't a big brake kit only allow more heat to be handled? I think they are only needed on race cars right?

Is the better feel of most big kits due to the stiffer 4 piston calipers as well and having it solidly mounted?

For a street car, they seem overkill. I flushed my fluid with ATE and that helped reduce the pedal take up. Then the Carbotech Panther + pads give me all the braking my poor little 275 Nitto Road Race tires can handle.

If you are racing, brake ducts would be recommended. As far as brake stuff is concerned, I'm going to add some ducts and call it a day. I'm satisfied. Now it comes down to either gripier front tires or maybe 315's.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Form what I understand, doesn't a big brake kit only allow more heat to be handled? I think they are only needed on race cars right?

Is the better feel of most big kits due to the stiffer 4 piston calipers as well and having it solidly mounted?

For a street car, they seem overkill. I flushed my fluid with ATE and that helped reduce the pedal take up. Then the Carbotech Panther + pads give me all the braking my poor little 275 Nitto Road Race tires can handle.

If you are racing, brake ducts would be recommended. As far as brake stuff is concerned, I'm going to add some ducts and call it a day. I'm satisfied. Now it comes down to either gripier front tires or maybe 315's.
Pretty much. As far as what I orginally purchased the ST-40's for was to have something that can be either used for street (Axxis Ultimate Steet Performance pads and dust boots) or for when I Road Race (Pagid Oranges Race Pads).

Yes the better feel of big kits are attributed to the those factors, plus the other factors that can be added to the stock brakes (brake fluid, SS lines, premium pads, and rotors). Basically, If you need better performance and you're not experienced with AX or RR, then you're spending a lot of money to get a fancy system that will not perform better at most street legal limits.

If someone wants to improve their quality of brakes without having to spend a lot on a premium system, then a C5 brake kit will be the most frugal option, especially if their OEM rotors and pads are trashed.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even with the stock sized front rotors, good pads may be all you need. That's the first upgrade I would recommend.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

They might be, however the I had a huge problem with caliper deflection, and that was only from heavy street breaking. That's something to consider if your vehicle has at least 75K from a lot of heavy braking.

Last edited by Foxxton; 09-11-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

What type of caliper deflection do you mean? Spreading due to too much line pressure when hot or twisting due to the slack in the guide pins?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

spreading.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

i cracked my stock rotors in half. i think i'm ready for upgraded rotors. i dont think i need a big brake kit though
Old 09-11-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well jeez, why didn't you mention that?

Was it heat related or did a part fail?
Do you race with the car?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most have no problems with the OEM caliper. The real reason I upgraded to a Big Brake kit is due to the fact that I was beginning to solo race on different road courses, and I then begin to experience some evil braking qualities, such as overheating the rotors. In that case, I was using Hawk 9012 pads with Brembo blank rotors, and properly bedding them in. My stock calipers were pretty much dead after about 15 laps of some hard driving, almost to the point that I could've killed myself. After letting them properly cool, they never performed correctly while driving on the street.

The reason I purchased the big brake system I have, is because my vehicle is not a dedicated track vehicle. I still need it to be street legal, until my other car is finally assembled. The big brake kit allows me to run street pads and still be compatible with the factory ABS and braking system while remaining the proper braking balance.

If your vehicle is mostly for the street, you certainly wouldn't be doing what I described above. Anyone who's reading this thread that is driving on public roads in the manner described above needs to reconsider their self-discipline.

Last edited by Foxxton; 09-12-2005 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Most have no problems with the OEM caliper.
Whoa up there a minute, pardner ...

The stock F-car caliper is VERY susceptible to spread under extreme conditions.

And extreme conditions are the justification for big brakes.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Well jeez, why didn't you mention that?

Was it heat related or did a part fail?
Do you race with the car?
heat related. i dont race either. the only thing i can imagine is that my car is much heavier then most due to my stereo setup and sound deadening. my overall goal at first was to improve the brake pedal feel. i still have the stock lines in it, that may be it. but my girlfriends scion has a much softer brake pedal which i do like the feel of much better. i think my new tires helped my stopping distance alot, new rotors and pads would probably help also and be stronger as well. i figured the extra pistons in a big brake kit would help, but i guess that wasnt it.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I notice you keep talking about a "soft" pedal. Most folks think of that as a spongy pedal, which is not good. Do you actually mean that you want more braking with less foot pressure pushing on the pedal? Normally you would want a firm pedal with no take up, but require less force on the pedal to stop the car and then when you push hard on the pedal, you get a lot more braking than the stock brakes would have delivered.

If that's the case you need a pad that creates more friction to the rotor. A more agressive pad may be all you need. Are you saying you'd like to be able to lock a wheel at 100mph without a lot of pedal pressure and still be able to drive it on the street? I'd say you need pads.

What pads have you ran before?

One of the best streetable pads is the Carbotech Panther Plus. Replace all 4 corners for $285 shipped. Either machine your current rotors or replace then with new blanks like the AZ Duralasts (Under $200 total I think) and be done with it.

These pads do squeek a small amount depending on how you brake and dust some, but it cleans up pretty easily. The first, bone cold stop feels about like the stock pads, but after a few stops you'll have some heat in them. Then they will get grippy, not bad grippy, you can still modulate the brakes, but they just want to slam the car to a stop. Nice. The hotter you get them the grippier they get. They can take a lot of heat, too. I cracked a set of front crossdrilled rotors doing an aggressive bedding session and the pads never faded on me. Adding brake duct would be recommended, but optional for street use.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Whoa up there a minute, pardner ...

The stock F-car caliper is VERY susceptible to spread under extreme conditions.

And extreme conditions are the justification for big brakes.
Okay, so the OEM calipers completely sux, but the question will now remain, should he opt for a C5 upgrade or should he splurge for a 2000+ big brake kit?

I would like to see more postings to get a better idea of where he currently stands and where does he intend to go with his vehicle. I personally vote for getting a big brake kit now, but then again he might be oversold since braking in normal conditions with big brake kits really don't improve much and their parts may be easy to find, but are sure expensive to replace.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The OEM calipers don't suck for 99% of the people. I feel mine are fine for me. The vette calipers are less susceptible to heat spreading, and aren't very expensive. Then brake ducts are always a good idea.

The vette rotors should either produce a bit less heat and require a bit less pedal pressure under the same stopping distances or else stop the car quicker (if you have the tires) while generating the same amount of heat.

I don't have 2K for a big brake kit nor do I like spending, what, $300 per rotor or so for a replacement? I'm glad I don't need a big brake kit, it would suck up all my money.