Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Non-lowered car owners with adj. lca brackets@lowest hole: have you gotten brake-hop?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Non-lowered car owners with adj. lca brackets@lowest hole: have you gotten brake-hop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non-lowered car owners with adj. lca brackets@lowest hole: have you gotten brake-hop?

I'm not lowering my car, but I do know that adjustable lower control arm brackets will still help me get a .1 or better reduction in 60 foot times (from UMI's description). I'm concerned about brake hop. I did use the SEARCH function and read about cars, at the lowest hole, getting brake-hop. However, those cars were LOWERED. So, I'm conducting this pole to see if anybody with a non-lowered car actually got brake-hop with the brackets at the lowest hole. Please vote above. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope, non at all.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know about brake hop but he car didn't handle well at all while cornering.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Don't know about brake hop but he car didn't handle well at all while cornering.
so it's not in my head. i thought it handled a little different and not for the better. does it feel like you're floating through a sharp turn? that's sort of what mine seems like
Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

i will also say that the rear-end of my car seemed to sway a little more and when going into turns hard, seemed a little to playful for my liking
Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

if you brake hard enough you can get brake hop with all of it in stock.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

In theory with the arms lower in the rear and higher in the front, under acceleration it will plant the tires by pushing down on the rear axle and lifting the car. The flip side is that under braking it will want to lift the rear axle and pull the rear of the car down. That would make the rear light under heavy braking which might contribute to brake hop.

Altering the LCA angles can also effect the handling while cornering, but I can't remember the specifics.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
In theory with the arms lower in the rear and higher in the front, under acceleration it will plant the tires by pushing down on the rear axle and lifting the car. The flip side is that under braking it will want to lift the rear axle and pull the rear of the car down. That would make the rear light under heavy braking which might contribute to brake hop.

Altering the LCA angles can also effect the handling while cornering, but I can't remember the specifics.
According to http://robmeadway.com/fbodysuspguide.html:

Lowering the LCA’s increases anti-squat. Many drag racers will lower them as low as possible. The downside to this is lowering the LCA’s will cause roll oversteer which will make the car hard to control on course and can be very dangerous. It’s preferred to keep the LCA’s as close as level to minimize the amount of roll steer. In fact it’s preferable to have them slightly inclined towards the front to provide roll understeer which helps in applying power on corner exit.

Roll steer in the rear suspension is caused by the fact that the rear LCA’s scribe an arc as they move. When the car rolls in a turn one side will squat and the other lift causing the LCA’s to move in opposite directions-which they do and in an arc. The effective length of the LCA’s being longer on one side and shorter on another points the axle in a direction non-parallel to the car. If they rear axle points out you get oversteer and if it points in you get understeer. Roll steer is unavoidable but can be minimized by keeping the LCA’s as close to level as possible. Drawing a picture with the LCA’s inclined down, level, and up, along with some imagination, is the best way to visualize rollsteer.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

thats very intresting! thanks a bunch. maybe ill go ahead and lower the beast now =0

Quick Reply: Non-lowered car owners with adj. lca brackets@lowest hole: have you gotten brake-hop?