Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front shock adsorber: looking for a drawing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front shock adsorber: looking for a drawing

I let a garege install a set of Eibach springs.
Now something is wrong with the passenger shock: I think the nut on top of the stem isn't tight enough and It makes a "cluck" noise everytimr the road has a little hole.
Went back and the guy toke it apart, checked it and told me everything is fine.

WTF!

I think he's forgotten something or installed the pieces in the wrong order.
Who has a schematic that shows all the little parts (rubber discs, shims and so on)?
I can remove the other shock to see how it's built, but what if it's wrong also?

On the side of the noisy shock the car is 1/4 - 1/2 inch lower...

Something is wrong for sure!

Thanks - Stefano
Old 09-07-2005, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's pretty common for the passenger side to be a little lower than the driver side, mine is.

As far as the shock goes, I found that the threads on the top of the shock were F'ed up in one spot and would not let the nut go all the way down on the shock mount, it needed to go about 1/4" further. I had to recut the threads at that spot and then everything was fine. If this is similar to your problem, you can lay on the ground and have someone "bounce" the car a little(DO NOT PUSH ON THE FENDER!). Look near the top of the shock where it meets the upper shock mount. If you see a gap form between the two, you know the nut is not tight enough on the upper shock mount. Other things to check may be to make sure everything is torqued down properly.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the thread is fukked up: the mechanician told me it was rusty and he had to force it and a bunch of other BS.
I have now two new shock and I'll install them myself in the weekend because I'm afraid to lose the upper nut: this would cause a disaster...
I just don't know if this **** did forget something or put everything together as is supposed to be. I just know he told me everything was fine when it wasn't.
I have several manuals (Haynes, GM service manual + others) but nowere I see the exact composition of the shock.

Who knows wich parts are needed and their position?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here:
http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/TAframe.htm

Specifically:
http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/BMR.htm
Old 09-11-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up buying two new shocks: the old ones had a messed up rod thread and it was impossible to tighten the bolt.
It was better if the mechanician just warned me about the problem. He just bolted everything together, and when I complained he said it was normal!