Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP removing front upper perch for lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP removing front upper perch for lowering springs

Im lowering my car and cant seem to get that upper perch rubber part to come off. Im referring to the big rubber spring mount part that gos up the shock tower with two studs that stick out and two other holes. I compressed the springs, removed the nut and the perch got loose, but it still wont come off the strut. I even tried slowly decompressing my springs hoping it will pop free. What could be holding it in?
-Any help or suggestions will be appreciated
Old 09-27-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm alittle confused, do you have the whole assembly off the car and just want to get the rubber perch that is holding the spring off or do you still need to get the whole assembly out.

I think your talking about the first one so i'll try and help. If you took the nut off the top of the shock and it still won't come off you have serious problems. I had the same problem just i had to cut the nut off and it still did't come apart. I did the same as you i relesed the spring hoping it woul push it off but it did't and it still has't 9 months later. It actually started tearing the rubber around the metal sleeve that the shock goes through. I tried every thing from trying to punch it out with a punch and a BFH and i even tried drilling it but that was a major pain in the *** with out the right bit. So i just went to the junk yard and got a whole new assembly for like $30 and brought it home and took it apart and just used that rubber perch and put the new shocks and springs on. I would actually recomend anyone that does a shock/spring change to get some new rubber perches ahead of time because this seems to be a big problem with our cars water just sits in that hole where the nut is and has no where to go. Which i would recomend when you put it back toghter you use some RTV around the rubber perch you keep water out and lube but the threads and nut with some anti-corrosive lube. I looked into a new one at the dealer put was told it was only sold with the upper control arm and it was some rediculous price $200+. Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2005, 04:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Hmm......I just did mine and the nut was the only thing holding it on. It should come off Is it stuck to the spring or the shaft on the shock? Can you post pics?????
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

The passenger side on mine was like that. I had to cut off the nut and then the shaft of the shock was still rusted to the rubber mount. I had no other choice, so I had to drill out the shaft! Talk about a pain in the ***! I was able to reuse the mount, but bought a new one a while ago and replaced it for piece of mind. I would definitely recommend having an extra set of those before trying to swap out the front springs!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Thx for the replys
Turns out the passenger side perch seized on to the shock shaft. I managed to blow it off when I fully decompressed the spring, but it ripped apart coming off and can’t be reused. Looking into getting a new one. Drivers side was OK.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

same problem here, i took an air grinder to the shaft and mad it smaller, still had a hard time but it finally broke free. Damn rust...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

anyone know where i can buy a this perch from?
know of any part#s?

Quick Reply: HELP removing front upper perch for lowering springs