Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

If you are planning larger brakes and have HP EVO's check this out.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default If you are planning larger brakes and have HP EVO's check this out.

I have HP evo's 19x9.5 all around. I decided I wanted to go with the LG C5 brake upgrade and put the 12.8" rotors up front. Well, due to the fat lip of the Evo's, the spokes actually tail inwards which causes a problem when the caliper is pushed out towards the rim. You have two options, get a .25" spacer or you can grind the caliper to taper the edge similar in shape to the rim.

I chose the latter and will post up pics tonight. It's not dramatic, probably similar to grinding the rear calipers when running a 15" wheel.

Just wanted to let people know.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realize that LS1 calipers (and C5's if you put enough heat in them) can spread open under load? Everyone has been giving me a hard time for telling that I don't think grinding the rear calipers is a good idea....and they are allowed to feel that way. However, I'm very confident that grinding the front calipers is not a good idea. I'd have used a spacer.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
You do realize that LS1 calipers (and C5's if you put enough heat in them) can spread open under load? Everyone has been giving me a hard time for telling that I don't think grinding the rear calipers is a good idea....and they are allowed to feel that way. However, I'm very confident that grinding the front calipers is not a good idea. I'd have used a spacer.
I completely understand what you're saying. The amount I am 'grinding' off is minimal and is on the beefiest section of the caliper.

I have an extra pair of front caliper that I can use if this doesn't work. I can then just use a spacer. I don't race the car, it doesn't see high speed braking, but since I needed new rotors and pads, I figured I would go with the larger C5 rotors as well. I will keep an eye on the calipers to make certain they are ok.

Thanks for the warning.

Also, we got the warning about running 5 x 120mm BMW bolt size wheels, and I've had no ill effects, but I do appreciate the heads up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you are planning larger brakes and have HP EVO's check this out.