Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

First time doing brakes on a newer GM car. Quick help and question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First time doing brakes on a newer GM car. Quick help and question

Ok im painting my calipers with new rotors and pads for my 02 Z this weekend and I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way before I have a problem. I am pulling off all the calipers and I have those stop plugs that go into the line where the bolt goes so I dont have to worry about loosing fluid and messing up my abs unit. So after I paint my calipers install my new rotors and pads I can just do the standard procedure you would do to any other RWD GM car. RR LR RF LF. Pump them 10 times and hold, have somone open the bleeder and repeat till clean fluid comes out with no air. Sound right to you guys? This is the way I will be doing it I dont have a machine to use. Also where can I buy the ATE Superblue? Any parts store? Car has just ABS and no ASR if that means anything also. Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=60

Try this. I used this write up.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

dont bother removing callipers from the car

undo them from the mounting plate, and then remove the pads and rotor, stuffing some newspaper on the inside of your callipers and then bolt the calipers back on the car and spray away. worked great on my car
Old 11-10-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Ok im painting my calipers with new rotors and pads for my 02 Z this weekend and I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way before I have a problem. I am pulling off all the calipers and I have those stop plugs that go into the line where the bolt goes so I dont have to worry about loosing fluid and messing up my abs unit. So after I paint my calipers install my new rotors and pads I can just do the standard procedure you would do to any other RWD GM car. RR LR RF LF. Pump them 10 times and hold, have somone open the bleeder and repeat till clean fluid comes out with no air. Sound right to you guys? This is the way I will be doing it I dont have a machine to use. Also where can I buy the ATE Superblue? Any parts store? Car has just ABS and no ASR if that means anything also. Thanks
You are correct. Bleeding the brakes is the same procedure on these cars as they are the older models. Except -I've read- if way too much fluid releases then you will have to take it to the dealer to have the abs bleed.

BUT, don't worry when disconnecting the caliper, when I removed my calipers very little brake fluid was relased so don't worry about removing the calipers.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool. Yea im just gona take the calipers off I am usings the dupli color caliper paint kit where u brush on the paint. Gona paint the calipers red and the brackets black with VHT brake paint (Spray)

Quick Reply: First time doing brakes on a newer GM car. Quick help and question