Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

edelbrock versus BMR torque arms??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default edelbrock versus BMR torque arms??

edelbrock's torque arm is 175$ where BMR's is around 400$ is BMR's that much better or what? I have a street/strip 98 Z28 and don't eat nickels and **** quarters so price is always a big factor in what I buy. A little help please.

Curtis
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Well I found the edelbrock torque arm for 155 and that is what I am going with. I am assuming that a tubular steel bar is still a tubular steel bar weither it is made by edelbrock or any other manufacturer.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

do some more searching on here. lots of broken edelbrock torque arms out there. they're a half step up from stock. there are 50 million flavors of 'tubular steel' some of them arent strong enough to make cotton swabs out of.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:34 PM

There are a lot of Broken BMR Torque arms out there. I would defenitly avoid the BMR TQ arm.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:36 PM

If I were you I would look at the UMI Performance Torque Arm.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks David, I appreciate the recommendation.

We do offer a few different torque arms that I will be glad to help you decide which one is best. We also offer an inexpensive non-adjustable version that will be ready to ship shortly.

Let me know and I am glad to help.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-15-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont mess around. Go with the UMI stuff. Its great.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest going with a torque arm that relocates the front mount back behind the transmission, instead of bolting to the tailshaft of the tranny. Broken tranny mounts and cracked tailshaft cases have occured as a result of GM's decision of using the tranny to keep the rear-end from rotating. BMR, Spohn and Global West (any others?) all make torque arms that relocate the front mount back behind the tranny, which also aids in planting the rear tires. The Spohn requires no welding, and I use on on my Z28. Bob
Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by davered00ss
There are a lot of Broken BMR Torque arms out there. I would defenitly avoid the BMR TQ arm.
If you are referring to the current thread maybe you should read it again. The torque arm was broken due to the torque arm bolts coming loose and falling out (he even later stated that they had already fallen out once and had to replace them prior to this failure) every torque arm manufacturer has warned everyone about the problems associated with a 12-bolt that doesn't use the thru bolt design and that they require constant attention to avoid failures like the one posted.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 11-15-2005, 09:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
If you are referring to the current thread maybe you should read it again. The torque arm was broken due to the torque arm bolts coming loose and falling out (he even later stated that they had already fallen out once and had to replace them prior to this failure) every torque arm manufacturer has warned everyone about the problems associated with a 12-bolt that doesn't use the thru bolt design and that they require constant attention to avoid failures like the one posted.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302

Very true. You must use loc-tite on the bolts when you are bolting a torque arm to a Moser rear-end. We have never had one of our installed (and we use a lot of BMR) torque arms break, and loc tite must be used. Bob
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302

Do a search , there are a ton of posts about broken BMR torque arms and BMR telling people too bad. Nice customer service you have there. I also know a couple local guys with broken BMR TQ arms. Just my Opinion, but I would not buy one.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel many of the BMR components are very nice quality. Certainly as time progresses, as with any manufacture, areas of improvements can be realized. This includes modification to current designs as well as new and completely renovated designs.

One area of consideration that some may be overlooking is the fact that BMR products have been around for MANY years. Due to years and breath of customers that their products are being used, it would be logical that there may be more customers that you may see with damages. If you look on the whole as a percentage, one may come to a conclusion that the number of actual failures may be quite low.

If a customer has been using a product for quite some time, there is a period of how long to warranty the products. Certainly, if a failure occurred at an early stage such as <90 days, then considerations need to be reviewed. Race components generally are not warranty items. Have a company build a 10,000.00 engine for you and you blow it up at the track 2 months later…most will NOT warranty the engine.

Another consideration is how the product was actually used…was it installed correctly, was the failure due other factors…i.e. loosened bolts. Was the product used on a setup it was not designed for? There are many variables not taken into consideration when you see a product fail but see a client post they broke something... A manufacture cannot warranty a product forever and consider it bullet-proof against all failures. I recall seeing a post a while ago in which someone purchased a used torque arm, broke it then was angry that the company would not warranty the product.

A possible consideration for these manufactures with probabilities their products may fail is offer a warranty policy whereas the customer can purchase additional warranty options for an additional charge. There is a fine line of ultimate strength should be built into a component…weight considerations, costs etc are all important. Building a torque arm that weighs 20 lbs more may be a harder sell. That item would probably be cursed on the boards for being too damn heavy.

Steve
Old 11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

I installed an edelbrock adjustable T/A off a BMR trans crossmember relocation kit and the next morning I slipped the clutch out at the track at 3500K and twisted that piece of junk T/A into a pretzel.I cost me a spohn driveshaft,new P cables,and a bent billet diff yolk.I put the stocker back on and its been great untill I replace it with a BMR,I personally like their quality.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Do a search , there are a ton of posts about broken BMR torque arms and BMR telling people too bad. Nice customer service you have there. I also know a couple local guys with broken BMR TQ arms. Just my Opinion, but I would not buy one.
Not to be one to not take people advice, I did a search for "broken BMR torque arms" only one thread (the same one you posted on) "RAMAIRSTYLE00" has an actual claim of a failure of a BMR torque arm. As for us telling customers "to bad" he him self stated that we only requested his reciept(seems fair) and that he couldn't produce it. The reason we ask for this is because we like most aftermarket companies have a "1 year" not lifetime warranty. I have already spoken to raimairstyle00 in pm's several months ago (when I started answering tech) and have heard Mike's concerns. I am posting this not to try to change your opinion, but only to make sure vague misleading statements are not taken as "gospel" and are fully researched to make sure they are correct.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302

Quick Reply: edelbrock versus BMR torque arms??