Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I don't care if it brakes, my rims gotta fit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't care if it brakes, my rims gotta fit!

Actually, I do care if my car brakes, but I really want my rims to fit without spacers.

I purchased 20" rims for my 01 chevy malibu and they fit pretty good except I had to put a spacer in the front tires so my rims wouldn't brush against the side of the brake caliper where theres this strage rod thing that seems to do nothing. Now because of the spacer my rim does not go into the hub so it is not aligned 100% eventhough I used special lug nuts to try and make it hubcentric.

So heres the culprit. could I just cut that piece off, or maybe cut and reweld it a little back, thatway I can remove the spacer and sit the rim on the hub so it would be centered and get rid of the vibration I'm having (note: rims have been checked and are not bent, they've been balanced (countless times), aligned (firestone rechecked their work twice), so it is not the car or rims. The tech said they were not centered 100% and I can't use hubcentric rings because the hub itself does not pop out enough into the rim because of the spacer.

NOTE: These are not my rims (these are 18's).

If I can't cut that piece off what else could you guys suggest?