Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got Koni's get Hotchkis springs or stay stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Koni's get Hotchkis springs or stay stock?

I am trying to figure out my setup before I buy everything. I need to call Sam Strano still but thought I would get everyones opinions as well. My car now has pacesetters and TSP true duals. My goals are to have a daily driven car that handles really nice (for having 19's). I have 5 inches of clearance at my lowest point. I plan on running on 19's. I will be runnin Koni's and was wondering if you guys would say stay with stock springs or go hotchkis. I want it lower and will be doing the lower spring perch mod and taking out the isolator in the rear if I stay stock. I just am not sure if that will be enough but would like to have minimal issues with the exhaust hitting. I know I have read about some guys switching back to stock springs after runnin on hotchkis so I would like to save the money but would not like to do the springs twice if I should just pop for the Hotchkis. Thanks for any advice and any pics of either setup would be sweet.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Launching!

Koni's are a great choice... And for you, they're great for more way's than one. For a daily driver the stock spring rates are as comfortable as your going to get, and they will handle well (for a daily driver) with Koni's. Being able to lower the car with them is the great part. I recommend taking baby steps when changing suspension parts, evaluate each part based on your needs, that way you're not fixing what's not broken. I say hold off on the spring change for now.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I've got Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, and the TSP catted y-pipe. I'm finishing up my detailing job today, but I'll take some pictures and show you what clearance looks like, to give you an idea.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i were u I would get ground control coil-over set-up. U can pick your spring rates and you can adjust the ride height.

Springs keep the car off the ground. If u go lower u need more rate. The stock spring rate is 300 lb/in. I when to 400 ib/in with koni DA and have no problems. The auto-x guys will use something like 500 or 550.

With konis u will have to get the hat off or grind it off. Not that hard. There r a few write-ups here on it.

The best part is i got mine from the WS6store for 360.00 Not to bad and it lets u adjust the front and the back. Take to Mike he will fix u up.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Full driver's side view:

Full passenger's side view:

Close up of y-pipe:

I've got higher resolution pictures, so PM me if you want them. Hope that helps.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Bear in mind that if you get coilovers, yes, you can can change the ride height more or less at will, but unless you get it re-aligned each time, you're going to get some odd tire wear.

-Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

I say go Hotchkis, buddy of mine has Hotchkis and SLP longtubes. If you know anything about SLP LTs is that their ground clearance sucks even stock. He doesn't really have any problems. Just gotta be aware of your surroundings.

And chupr0kabra, car looks damn good!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I guess I'll just wait for the phone call.... I'll happy give you my opinion then because it's easier than typing it all, and I want more detail before I say anything.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With Hotchkiss my wheels are centered nicely (like the
photos of chupr0kabra) but with 19" rims (?!) I think you
don't want to go lower at all unless you've got tires that
are about as thick as electrical tape. If you want to do a
cheap experiment, just remove the rear donuts which will
put you at nearly the same ride height as Hotchkiss, with.

As far as handling, all springs do is lower your CG an inch.
Probably do better upgrading swaybars than springs, for
sure do it first.

Quick Reply: Got Koni's get Hotchkis springs or stay stock?