Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring/Shock advice...help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring/Shock advice...help me out!

Currently have a 2000 SS with lowering springs (brand unknown, was on car when bought) and am considering changing my setup.

I like the look of the car as it is, but I feel that it's gonna kill my traction from a dig. Also, I'm still rolling on 100K mile stock struts/shocks and they are drastically past their life.

I'm looking for info/advice on which spring provides a small amount of drop (1"-1.5") without completely killing traction. Not so big into the "slammed" look, but would like a bit of rake if you get my drift.

Thinking of going back to stock ride height and throwing some Bilstein HD's on there. Add in some good sways and I think it'd do alright. But if I could find some springs that give a minimal drop, I might consider that as well.

Overall goal of the car is good, solid handling that still retains a respectable launch. I realize I'm not going to get the best of both, but am looking for a good compromise.

So what springs are out there that provide the least amount of drop?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Launching!

I'm glad you realize you can't have the best of both world's. In general the lower you go the higher the spring rates you'll need (unless you get coil overs, I can't believe I just said that) and that's bad for traction. Let me suggest stock springs, Koni SA's up front which will allow you the option of mounting the spring on it's lower perch (good for 3/4" drop). Bilstein HD's for the rear and you can remove the rear isolator (about 1/2" drop) if you wish. A big Sway bar up front will hurt traction, but is great for handling. What ever you decide, the single best improvement you could do to your car at this time would be to replace the decarbons.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My G2 super springs did not lower my car that much. When I first saw my car lowered at the shop, I had to ask my mechanic if he had lowered the car already. Others might say different.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

May Spin and James...thanks for the good info and advice. This is what I am looking for.

I don't want to commit myself to a set up where I am strickly handling or straight line racing. I enjoy driving the car in both situations, therefore I am looking for the best balance I can achieve given a certain budget.

I don't particularly want to give up the look of the lowering springs, but then again I'm valuing function moreso over form here. I want a capable car, not necessarily a show piece.

Keep the advice coming guys, I appreciate it!

Also, any good places to pick up Koni's and these G2 springs you speak of?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up the Koni SAs from Sam Strano (with that comes his knowledge and set up advise), and the springs came from LG Motorsports. LM Performance also has them.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody else got any good advice?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a friend that has QA1. His car does not handle to badly but it is a drag car (10s). To me, you have want a drag car that does not handle to badly or a car that handles but you can take it to the track. Want do you want? How much do u want to spend?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yellow...what I am really looking for is a good setup for a mainly daily driver that would still perform well on the track. The car probably won't see an abundance of track time, however I would still like it to hook well.

I'd like a slightly lowered front end, with a rear that's slightly lowered as well. But so far, I've yet to see any springs that offer only a minimal drop. I looked at the GC kit as well, but not sure that's the route I need to go. Tough decision either way.

If I could get a slightly raked stance, while still maintaining good traction and hook, I'd be happy.

Kind of like having your cake and eating it too!!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem is that for a drag car as much weight from the front of the car should go to the back. This is why you see drag cars with the front wheels off the ground. The way do that is have shocks that have a low rate when they extent and a high rate that will keep the car front up as you go down the track.

For handling you want to slow the weight transfer down and keep the car flat in corners. The way to do have high spring rates and shocks that have a high rate also to control the spring. Big sway bars help also.

Drag shocks at full hard are still not very hard. They go with low rate springs at stock hieght or a small drop. Handling shocks at full soft are not very soft. That is why it is hard to do both. To lower a car you need the high rate springs to keep the car off the ground.

So: do you want a car that is a drag car that is not bad handling or handling car that can go to the drags.

The good news is until you have a lot of power you don’t need a drag car. What is your goal at the track 12s or 10s. If you want 10s you need a drag car. At 12s you can still have a car that handles. At the track just put drag tires on u r there.

By the way use konis for handling or use QA1 for the drags. You can get coil-over for both kinds so you can set your ride height.

By the way: All here know I love the ground control springs you can pick the rate and the ride height. But more here think there are to hard to use.

Quick Reply: Spring/Shock advice...help me out!