Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cheap Shocks any Good?

Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Shocks any Good?

Getting ready to install a set of lowering springs(1.5in). My car has 60K miles and at this point do not have enough money to buy a good set of shocks. My question is are cheapo shocks from autozone/oriellys worth getting for the interum. Will the cheapo shocks be an improvement over originals with 60K. What do you guys think. TIA
Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

No. I bought KYB GasAJust shocks and installed them with my Hotchkis springs. They were far too soft. I thought it was OK, but the more I drove it, the more I realized the shocks weren't up to the task. I know it's easy to say and hard to do, but if you can save your money and buy good shocks (i.e. Koni SA or revalved Bilsteins from Sam Strano), you will be much happier and you won't have to swap your shocks twice.

-Mike
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been pretty happy with the Gabriel Hi-Jackers I
put in the rear, it never felt "squirrely" or wheel-hopped
or anything. Hotchkiss and now stockers minus the donuts
out back.

I'm very interested in some of the cheap-bastard shock
alternatives (various heavy duty types, suspicious of
any like the "Sens-A-Trac" where ride height modifies
the damping rate, in a lowered application though).

Haven't seen any quantitative info on damping rates
other than for Bilsteins and stockers. I wonder whether
that kind of info could be had from the makers' tech
line or something....
Old 02-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Let's face it, any and I mean any damper will be an improvement over the decarbons. Although not ideal some have used Bilstein HD's, having Sam Strano revalve them will make a HUGE difference. I agree with Mike, and save for good shocks. They are the single best improvement you could do to your suspension IMO.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with those who are adamantly against using cheap and/or poorly designed dampers. Dampers (not really shock absorbers, though that's a popular term in N. America) are absolutely crucial to dampen spring oscillation, and in a correct manner that I might add.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend thinks that his TA with stock springs and KYB adjustable shocks are good. He doesn't know any different tho. He wants to lower it. I told him that I don't think those shocks work well with lowering springs. He just won't believe me. On the other hand...my prokit and revalves are freakin' sweet!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

protraxduner, I did exactly what you did. I went and bought some cheapo's from Advance Auto and put them on the car in order to save up for different shocks. Didn't make it a week then I bought Koni's for the front. It was horrid. Just save up for better shocks...
Old 02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

OneMeanZ- how do you like the Koni's?
I'm interested in dampening on the rebound as well. Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I wouldn't have it any other way if you ask me. Well worth the money you spend for them. I can't wait until I get the rears for the car.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I'm interested in dampening on the rebound as well. Thanks
All shocks damp bump and rebound. And the Koni's adjustment is only rebound on the SA's. Both if you buy DA's.....

Cheap shocks are well.... cheap. Like anything in life you will find folks that can't afford more, don't want to pay more, or don't know why they should. I wear New Balance sneakers for example, not Wal-Mart's. Would the cheapies fit? Probably.... Would I be barefoot? No. But they certainly won't last as long or feel as good either.

Which leads me to this point. Money tends to buy better product, but not always is the product what YOU need. To continue me shoe analogy. Nike's are not cheap, but they don't fit me well and I tend to tear them up quickly.

Auto parts are the same. Too many folks view stuff as "parts is parts" and that no more the case than food is food, or shoes are shoes.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread